A study of online marketing by Great Southern Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by RonSanderson, May 21, 2017.

1. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

It sounds like we have several things in common. I like to browse through the listings and if there's something I want I'll place a bid on what I'm willing to pay. If I get and email indicating I got the coin fine, if not I'll wait for another day. The later is most likely the case.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

The vertical scratch is too severe on the bust. There's strange black residue.

I'd wager that PCGS would say it has "Questionable Color".

RonSanderson likes this.
  4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Another option is to completely refuse to do business with a dealer who doesn't conform to the ethical standards of the PNG, and to warn new collector's of the pitfalls of buying from such a dealer.

Some of the problem coins are very obvious, to seasoned collectors, but not to newbies. And if the problem is obvious, then the dealer has a responsibility to acknowledge the problem in their listing.

As for the hidden problems (cleanings & hairlines etc.), all you have to do is read their E-Bay feedback to see that they exist, and that they infuriate customers who buy such coins.

Look, I don't have any problem with you cherrypicking coins from GSC. I don't have any problem with any knowledgeable collector patronizing GSC, because they have the requisite skills and education to navigate GSC's inventory without being taken. I also commend them for their 30 day unconditional return policy which is outstanding. I also recognize that they offer a large amount of graded material which is safe to buy.

My problem is that they offer many raw key date coins that are not problem free and they refuse to include that information in their listings. Additionally, they have a habit of using what I consider high contrast photographs that sometimes hide problems such as light cleanings, hairlines, and scratches.

5. Lehigh96

I need to ask, do you think that the scratches on the obverse of that coin will keep the coin from grading as a problem free coin?

6. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

I would say GSC has gotten better over time - I bought several coins from them about 5 years ago that were presented in a favorable way, that had evidence of cleaning (no luster, hairlines). They took them back without question and even paid TPG fees for the one that I sent in for grading.

If you look at GSC now, I think their photos are much more accurate than they used to be (I can see obvious problems that I don't recall seeing five years ago). They also don't provide a grade anymore - one thing I think they learned the hard way. I have heard anecdotal evidence that many of their raw coins are problem slab coins that are broken out - I suppose that's believable, but I give them the same "caveat emptor" that I give any dealer that sells raw coins.

That said, I wouldn't trust a raw coin from them the way I would from dealers I do frequent business with.

7. D-Train

D-Train proof coin enthusiast

As I have already posted pictures (theirs and mine) of a raw gold half eagle I bought from them in a different thread and been told they are the same, I see no point in reposting them here, unless you guys think I should?

I'm also awaiting 3 more coins from them, one an NGC slabbed Eagle, and 2 raw commemorative halves. Unfortunately grading a commemorative is tough as books don't cover grading standards for them like they do other coins. I'll take photos of my commemoratives when they arrive and we can do a "their photos" vs. "my photos" comparison and see what is what. Of course grading is always a matter of opinion, that's why they don't offer grades. Here are their photos of the commemoratives I bought.

1925-S California Commemorative Half Dollar, Gorgeous Solid Gem BU++
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1926-S Oregon Trail Commemorative Half Dollar, Solid Gem BU++
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These coins will arrive in the next day or two.

RonSanderson likes this.
  8. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

That is a fair question, and the one I have been avoiding. Briefly, I think the scratches are obvious and it wouldn't grade.

I am no expert and no one should put any weight on my opinion. Only about 10% of my coins are graded, and I don't have any Detail graded coins, and I have never sent a coin to be graded.

To give decent consideration to your question, that may make me fit GSC's customer profile. They sell coins in the gap between high-end auction houses (all graded, slabbed, and problem-free) and local dealers (who often have questionable stuff themselves - and are likely open about it).

This is the same area I exist in. I bid a lot at Heritage, but they sell for 3 to 10 times my bids. I buy from the LCS and try to get the best of the raw coins they sell. I buy online but I try to scour for bad photos and overlooked values. So for some things I have to accept a compromise.

If a coin doesn't grade it may still be a good match for me. I don't plan to sell; I don't value slabs because I use 2x2's; and I like to see the features that the designer intended but not everything has to be perfect.

So this is the less short answer. I hope I respected your intent and acknowledge that it may not grade, but sometimes I don't want that to block me from having a coin I can enjoy.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  9. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

I think if you tipped your half eagle upward a tiny bit a the bottom to catch the light reflection off the flat surfaces, and shot about one stop underexposed, you could nearly match their photos.

There was no doubt they are the same coin. The marks match up.

The only question would be whether their photos hid something that is obvious in yours. So far they look natural to me.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Cripes......these bullocks have snookered you folks. You think they've improved and and repented? Bask in sublime foolery.....

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That was an eBay policy change that forbids numerical grades on raw coins. I believe it happened at the same time they switched to only allowing 4 TPGs

12. D-Train

D-Train proof coin enthusiast

You're right. I've listed coins for sale there and I cannot state what grade I think my coin is, and am only allowed to state a grade if it was graded by one of their approved TPG's.

13. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Keep it simple ignore them and tell your friends to do the same. GSC tries hard to stay below the radar as far as being a straight up fraud. On occasion they sell a decent coin but I've never heard of anyone ever getting a really sweet deal from them. Usually collectors are saying they took it in the shorts from GSC. A quote from Nancy Reagan goes a long way here, just say no!! lol

Santinidollar and Oldhoopster like this.
  14. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Well now you have. I've gotten several "really sweet deals" from them.

brokecoinguy likes this.
  15. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

As has @jwitten. I have my opinions of them, but will not contend that they can't be cherrypicked. :)

16. V. Kurt Bellman

Actually not so easy because of bidiots.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  17. V. Kurt Bellman

18. V. Kurt Bellman

Stinking chattering wifi signal.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  19. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

So here was my latest cherry pick from them.. another retained cud! Barely visible in their pics.. I will update with pics when it arrives:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. V. Kurt Bellman

VERY nice "get", @jwitten.

jwitten likes this.
  21. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

There sure was a lot of typing done in this thread which didn't change my opinion of GSC in any way. Personally, when I find an easily cherrypicked seller, I don't try to convince others that that the seller can be cherrypicked. ...just sayin'

22. Lehigh96

Does a barely visible retained cud raise the value of the coin above what you paid for it? If not, how does this purchase qualify as a cherrypick?

Draft saved Draft deleted