A STRANGE LOOKING NICKEL

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Steve7975, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Steve7975

Steve7975 New Member

A STRANGE LOOKING NICKEL

I have a 1988 P-mint Jefferson nickel. It’s so bright and lustrous that one might take it as a proof coin. I don’t know where I got it. The obverse image “A” shows four nickels. The coin on the left is a 1993 Nickel. The coin on the right is a 2000 Nickel. The coin on top is a 1998 Nickel. The coin in the middle is the lustrous Nickel in question. For comparison purposes, please note that the coins on both sides and at the top show the expected change in shade and color due to normal wear and tear when these coins were in circulation. The Nickel in the middle is much brighter than the others. It also displays a very slight orange tone.

On the reverse side (image “B”), to the right of the Monticello building, there is what appears to be discoloration. This is not discoloration. Using a jeweler’s loop and XACTO knife with a fine pointed blade, I was able to feel the very edge of the silver. The three defects sure look like microscopic pieces of silver that may have broken off.

I would be very grateful to get your analysis and opinion about this Nickel. What are my options with this coin? Thank you.
    A.JPG B.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The only nickels that ever contained silver were the war nickels of 1942-1945. I don't know what the anomalies are on the reverse. How do you know that they are silver? It's possible that they may be droplets of glue. Have you tried dissolving them with acetone?

It's possible that the 1988-P is far more lustrous than the others because it may have been a coin released in the "Great American Giveaway" a couple of years ago. I don't know. ~ Chris

4. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

It seems like the light is shinning directly at the center coin which may tend to make it look brighter.

5. Steve7975

Steve7975 New Member

To CPM
    From Steve
    You are correct. I should not have stated that this Nickel was made of silver. In fact, this 1988 Nickel is made of 75% copper and 25% nickel clad to the surface. With the nickel breaking away from the copper at 3 locations, does this situation mean that I have an "error" coin? Thanks.

6. cpm9ball

It is not a clad coin. The nickel and copper are mixed together. ~ Chris

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Appears to be a normal nickel that was put away soon after being minted and then for whatever reason, released back into the wild. A nice coin to put in an album, IMO.

8. Steve7975

Steve7975 New Member

I go out of my way to introduce three more coins in order to provide a comparative view and all you can do is call me a lyer. You also accused me of setting up a bright light in such a way that the bright light from this single light source would only fall on the middle coin.

9. cpm9ball

Relax, Steve. @Inspector43 was merely making an observation, and he never called you a liar or even implied as much. ~ Chris

goossen and Inspector43 like this.
  10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The image sucks. Try again.

11. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

Covid has some people wound up a little too tight.

VistaCruiser69 likes this.
  12. Steve7975

Steve7975 New Member

Maybe the U.S. Mint will produce a commemorative coin commemorating Covid-19.

13. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

It's difficult to tell from your pics because of the lighting and focus, but it appears that your nickel may be plated. The fields look "mushy". Based on your initial description, if the 3 spots on the rev are discolored and look like cladding, plating would explain it.

Need better pics for sure, but it does not appear to be an error

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The photos are not great but my first thought was the nickel has been polished. It's not a clad coin as the nickel and copper are mixed and it contains no silver.

15. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

In your OP you did ask for "analysis and opinion". I did not insult you in any way. But, I did give an opinion. Welcome to CT.

goossen and bradgator2 like this.
  16. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Interesting coin but not any additional value. I think your options are to save it in your change jar, spend it right away, or put it in a 2 x 2 and in a few weeks get it out and look at it again with more experienced eyes and then choose 1 of the 3 options again. Happy hunting and stay safe!

17. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Exactly, put it away look at another box Coin roll hunting. Then give it a re evaluation. I was thinking a finned rim.

18. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

Lol, Well there's a 2020 bat quarter out so perhaps they've already did, but it's not commemorating that virus.

[​IMG]

19. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

It is possible that this coin was plated in a manufacturing facility or science class. We have a plating business in our town where I could totally picture someone throwing a handful of change in a batch of parts. I remember zinc plating Lincoln cents in 7th grade science class, and then if we heated it up in a gas flame, it would turn a cool gold color. With such a thin layer of metal, I doubt weighing the coin could verify this was what happened to your nickel. Looking at the fields on the obverse leads me to suspect that this coin may indeed be plated.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  20. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It might just have some luster, was part of someone's collection and wasn't reintroduced to circulation until recently. Sometimes I will go through some old coins and if they are basically worth face, I will spend them to downsize.
    More photos would help. If you like it, put it in a 2x2 coin flip and save it.

Draft saved Draft deleted