A story to tell you guys.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BATTERup646, Oct 6, 2015.

1. BATTERup646

BATTERup646 Active Member

If you saw my post on the introduction thread, you heard that i inherited my Grandfather's collection. I wanted to tell you guys the whole story.

During November 2009, my Grandpa died, beforehand, he gave my Mother his coins. She never even knew he collected. You see, he was a waiter, and his customers often gave him silver dollars as tips. During 2011, i found them in the drawer, and asked my Mother about them. He said he collected them, as a wee lad, i wondered why people collected them. She wanted to sell them for silver ounce, so i took them. By 2012, They were lost, i couldn't find them anywhere, Each year, i looked everywhere in the house, no luck. :( By 2015, I asked my Mother if she found anything. She said there was a box in her closet. I looked in the box, and saw five half dollars, seven small dollar coins, and two Eisenhower dollars. By June 6th 2015, I found them, they were in a black box, beside my Brother's bed. Three years of searching was finally over! I then decided to collect coins by year. He said he put them in there, and forgot them because we had a cleaning lady come over. I was overjoyed, i got a folder, and holders. I still have them in my collection today. Here's a picture of some of my finds:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131737095@N02/18644443952/in/dateposted-public/

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    dlhill132, Kentucky, wmichael and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BATTERup646

BATTERup646 Active Member

Finished editing post.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    Bowie likes this.
  4. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Nothing jumps out as far as condition or rarity due to errors, date, mintmark etc.... but the story is very cool.

Endeavor likes this.
  5. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Cool story! My favorite coins are the ones that have a memorable story attached to them (like my avatar picture coin).

And while you probably already know this, I guess I'll throw the obligatory "don't clean your coins" line out there. :)

dwhiz and Endeavor like this.
  6. charlietig

I didn't realize you were only 19 @NSP, cool.

7. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing the story behind the coins....impressing:)

8. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Neat story. Welcome to CT. First and foremost, enjoy the hobby and have fun! It's not always about making money.

9. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Yep! Young-ish Numismatists unite!! (Not sure what the age cutoff is to be considered a YN. Is it 18?)

10. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

Thank you for the interesting background. Those coins may not be a fortune, but they certainly have nostalgic value.

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

As far as ancient coins are concerned, I am a young numismatist and I'm 70.

Alegandron and mark_h like this.
  12. charlietig

If it is 18..... does that make you old? o_O

13. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Nice story and glad you found them. Welcome to the board.

14. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I guess so! I think I have at least one gray hair, so the AARP information should be coming in the mail pretty soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted