A special FH

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by randygeki, Oct 12, 2017.

1. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great chi-rho coin, and looking at it, is it rare because it has the mark 72 to the Roman pound? Looking more at the notitia dignitatum I've found my surname is very close to a couple of the units listed - Attacotti Seniores and Attacotti Juniores, so I guess I'm related to barbarians! The Attacotti, Scoti, and Picti were mentioned by Ammianus Marcellinus as invading Britain in the 360's until the invasion was turned back by Count Theodosius, Attacotti apparently were enrolled in the Roman Army serving in Gaul and Illyricum.

randygeki and 7Calbrey like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I think it's rare due to the Chi-Rho. This is an unusual situation in that "official" sources (RIC, I think) don't consider it especially rare, but collectors (such as Warren Esty) anecdotally think it's rare. Usually it's the other way around, where an official source suggests rarity or scarcity, whereas collectors find plenty of examples.

If I'm painting with a broad brush here, perhaps @Valentinian can correct me.

4. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

This statement does not need correction--because it is true. I have seen several Gallus in very bad shape, and now this very nice one, and no Constantius II examples that I recall, and I pay attention. But it would be fine with me if the rest of you think RIC is right when it states they are "Common." :happy:

5. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Like I said, i don't think it's "common" but also I don't think it's "rare." I guess it depends and your point of view. There are 3 chi-rho FH's for sale (that I know of) and have seen about a dozen or so for sale over the years. Add that to the few I have seen in personal collections. So i've seen about 20-ish. SO rare-ish for sure but compared to a FH from Amiens or Trier, definitely less rare. I definitely don't agree with RIC's ratings all the time. It lists FH of Constans from Siscia as common and though I have 6, it's definitely not common. Though perhaps accurate at the time it was written, RIC ratings should be taken with a grain of salt.

It's definitely more rare that coins of Hanniballianus, but don't think his coins are as rare as some say. I only bring it up because I feel the price of Hanniballianus' coins are based more on popularity rather than rarity as with Chi-Rho FH IMO. There are far rarer FH in that condition with a far cheaper price tag.

With that said, not being a "common" FH in such nice condition, it's a good price and I'm surprised it is still for sale.

Also, keep in mind im biased, as I have quite a few rare FH.

Ajax and Gavin Richardson like this.
  6. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

@randygeki and I both saw this Constantius II on the market no too long ago.

8Gbxt6Hx4Cwnq2wRMf5BCKy7mX3D9S.jpg

7. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I feel this Centenionalis of the fallen horseman as special in several ways. Not sure of them, though.

Costius2          Centenionalis.jpg Costius2 FH    Gamma AntA.jpg

randygeki, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted