Featured A Souvenir From the Colosseum?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, Feb 19, 2019.

1. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I was looking for the oddity that is the reverse of both of our coins. What is really out of place with it?

Alegandron likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

The god Sobek? I've been to his temples in Tebtunis and Kom Ombo...

220px-Sobek.svg.png

Parthicus and Alegandron like this.
  4. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

My coin is a dog when it comes to condition, but the animal is a hippo from Alexandria under Claudius, AD41-42. Bronze, 25 mm. IMG_8881.JPG IMG_8886.JPG

5. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

I read an interesting paper by Mika Rissanen. He wrote : “The treatment given to wolves differed from the treatment meted out to other large predators. The Romans generally seem to have refrained from intentionally harming wolves. For instance, they were not hunted for pleasure (but only in order to protect herds that were out at pasture), and not displayed in the venationes, either. The special status of the wolf was not based on national ideology, but rather was connected to the religious importance of the wolf to the Romans.”
    BF3C4E32-DFD6-4D7D-9889-28F401876682.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I am sorry, I really do not collect this area (Roman Imperial / Provincial). I edited my post to the original Auction's attribution. Prima facia, I cannot really tell you what is different about the reverse(s).

7. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

I never knew that about left-facing Trajan. I couldn't remember which way my gift Trajan coin was facing. I ran to grab it. It is right facing!! Yaaayy!

Alegandron likes this.
  8. medoraman

I simply find it fascinating a coin from Arabia clearly has a Bactrian camel portrayed, not an Arabian one. The only idea I can come up with is they were advertising how Bostra was an end point of the great Silk Road, and there in Bostra the Silk Road merged with the Spice Road up from Yemen. If true, it would yield great wealth to Bostra.

Half the reason I collect this coin is because a have a fairly large Silk Road coin collection, and to me this is a Roman coin also depicting this historical trade connection.

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

AH! LOL, subliminally, I noticed it, but it just did not register! Thanks for pointing that out! That was a "DUH" moment for me!

Boy, I thought you were driving me down a rabbit-hole with various legends, or Greek letters, etc. that I just don't pursue... the Camel species almost bit me on the nose! Nice observation.

Best,
    Brian

arizonarobin and LaCointessa like this.
  10. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

7DpCPfX2y4mL9H9bDiG86EkYjFs5Z3.jpg rooster from Teanum Sidicinum

161.jpg Bull from Teanum 1555902l.jpg image00017.jpg 3630342.jpg 4439988l.jpg Eq42yAt8r9MJzx3X7HyP7g5Qm2BC6Q.jpg Bom3E6JgxG72r4NdFn889W5eHna7o5.jpg

11. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Not coins, but fully Roman none the less - Lamp depicting a bull charging and about to gore a condemned prisoner in the arena - and some other non numismatic "animalia romana'. 4rYWL9iM8dEHHPf23BBmRtR76TzNj5.jpg 6c422d86-d64d-4a8c-bb63-9b48541dad75.png 3683770l.jpg 4576706l.jpg oM652iJEeXQ8G3Rx4QcKSC7qWsY96P.jpg Hatrian aes grave chicken... Rx572TsMWA7yw4ZKCbm8iF9D65GdH3.jpg

12. Aleph

Aleph Well-Known Member

I like Domitian's rhino series as well! Here is another one in the same grouping (correction RIC 253). Its hard to find roman coins with animals on both sides. IMG_5207_1_smaller.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  13. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Is that your coin?? It's actually RIC 253 - the frequency rating is R3 (unique) in the catalogue, but the Addenda now records it as R2 (very few examples known).

Gary R. Wilson and LaCointessa like this.
  14. Aleph

Aleph Well-Known Member

Yes, mine. You’re correct- 253- my bad. Is the addenda published?

David Atherton likes this.
  15. David Atherton

Awesome coin!

Sadly no, the Addenda is not published. Until it is, here is the listing for RIC 253.

D253 addenda.JPG

Jay GT4 and Aleph like this.
  16. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I enjoy reading your information. I'm 71 and didn't know how much I didn't know until I read this blog. I don't know if any of you have been to Italy, Rome especially. My father was in the US Army and was stationed in Landstuhl, Germany and when I was 8, we took a vacation and traveled all over Europe in a 1950 Studebacker. Back then you could go down into the coliseum without anyone chasing you out. Anyway, while my parents weren't watching I got down lower and picked up some old "rocks" with pictures on them. I'm sure they were coins of some kind. But, when you are 8, some things aren't as important as others. They got lost. I wish I had kept them. I still have my baseball glove tho.

17. medoraman

Great coin. Looks like a mule with another quadrans reverse. I have never seen one either, (and trust me I try to check out any rhinos I ever see). I am very jealous.

Aleph and arizonarobin like this.
  18. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Pretty cool!

David Atherton likes this.
  19. David Atherton

I really like that coin.

Gary R. Wilson likes this.
  20. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

That is such a neat type.

I only have pictures of the Colosseum as souvenirs.

9C0AD6BD-7DF7-491C-BA32-34D64A91B094.jpeg FE722D80-A168-4E5B-92CA-5241C054BB5D.jpeg

21. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

octavius, Aside from a spectacular coin collection you've got some important artifacts to go with them :woot:! Has your collection ever been put on public display by a museum ? If not it should be ;).

ancient coin hunter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted