A snack present - Vespasian fourree from Caesarea?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ambr0zie, Apr 18, 2021.

1. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Hello ladies and gentlemen,
    A relative decided to surprise me for Easter (I am Orthodox so Easter is later for us) in a pleasant way. He is not a collector but he is interested in my collection and Roman history. He knows the emperors I like and what coins I have, so he won this for me and I am waiting for it along with a Julia Domna Venus Victr denarius he heard me talking about (he can't keep a secret :D)
    [​IMG]
    A hemidrachm from Caesarea from Vespasian, in a decent condition.

What I find I little intriguing are the brown color shapes, at Victory's legs and on the obverse lettering. Could that be signs that the coin is a fourree? Or is it the alloy?
    I am not experienced at all in fourrees or Caesarea coins.

I did a quick search and I couldn't find fourrees from Caesarea but I know this is not a rule.
    I know for sure that he got this from a recent auction and he didn't chose the cheapest one.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

It's not a fourrée. Typical style and strike for the issue. What you are seeing are deposits that were not cleaned off.

These hemidrachms were struck with debased silver, so not likely worth a forger's time.

4. ambr0zie

Thank you, @David Atherton .
    I only have 3 denarii from Vespasian (2 of them same type) and I like his portraits a lot.
    As a personal taste, I prefer genuine coins. I know fourrees have their clear numismatic value but I am happy with your analysis, especially since this coin is in your area :)

David Atherton likes this.
  5. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Cool new Vespasian! And you must share the Domna Venus vixen when it arrives.:pompous:
    Here's a Vespy Nemesis with some dirt on it that I won't clean off:
    20190326_142053_29822AC7-7FCE-4F0A-8556-B06052D71FD6-406-000000B5AF1BBFC3.png

6. ambr0zie

Ryro, you know that you are responsible about the VENERI VICTR :) as I first saw this type when you showed your coin.

I think the coin will be this one as I was curious to see what auction did he participate in

upload_2021-4-18_17-31-53.png
    Not something to brag about, but not bad either. Reverse die has seen better days but the important part of the coin is somehow visible.

7. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Nice! She's got the junk in the trunk:cigar:
    What can I say, I dig those...

ambr0zie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted