A Small Group of Scarce Dimes

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eduard, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Dimeman

Dimeman Member

I don't know ...... there 403 total graded at PCGS alone. Most are lower grade like mine. I'm sure there are some in ngc and ANACS and some raw.

Eduard likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Very nice group!

Eduard likes this.
  4. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

@Eduard that grouping is a dream for most of us. Kudos on putting it together. Most impressive!

Eduard likes this.
  5. P0CKETCHANGE

P0CKETCHANGE New Member

The most interesting thing about this photo is the different sized dimes. I've been collecting for a long time and never realized that the early coinage was larger. Sure enough, right there in the Red Book.

Stevearino and Eduard like this.
  6. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I'm often asked this question, and I do not have a good answer except that I have collected U.S coin for about 38 years, and I never really gave grading/slabbing much thought. The majority (90%) of my collection is not slabbed.

Thank you, ksparrow!

Thanks!

Thank you, masterswimmer!

7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

If those marks are into the surface of the coin, they were put there after the piece was struck, almost certainly while in circulation. They are to be expected on a piece that has had moderate wear. I would grade this piece as a VF-25.

Also, there is no way that there could be a 1796 dime with 13 stars unless the stars were removed outside the mint. The decision to go with 13 stars on the obverse was made in 1797 when it became obvious that adding any more beyound 16 would be impossible given the space available.

If you ever get a chance to see a 1797 16 star dime, take a look at the stars with a 10 X glass. You will see hash marks that the die maker scratched in before he punched the starts into the surface of the dies. You can see the same thing on the early half dimes, but those coins so small that it is even harder to spot it.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    Stevearino likes this.
  8. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Great looking set, must have taken a long time to collect! Best set of dimes I've ever come across, great pics to boot! :D

Eduard likes this.
  9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Nice group @Eduard. Love those designs.

Eduard likes this.
  10. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

wow, amazing set

Eduard likes this.
  11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Beautiful set

Eduard likes this.
  12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Thanks for posting and not a GTG post

Eduard likes this.
  13. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

Based on this post and other coins you have posted, you have an amazing US type set, including Colonials. Congrats! This obviously has been a rewarding collecting experience for you.

Eduard likes this.
  14. chuck123

chuck123 Active Member

Love 'em

Eduard likes this.
  15. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Love these! I especially like the circ-cam effect of the 1801. I would be proud to have these.

Steve

Eduard likes this.
  16. Sidney Osborne

Sidney Osborne Well-Known Member

As a new member I'm inspired...the artistry and design (the reverses) are amazing!

Eduard likes this.
  17. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

Very nice set of dimes. Thanks for sharing.

Eduard likes this.
  18. ArthurK11

ArthurK11 Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted