A slabbed COA? REALLY?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Vertigo, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

I'll tell you IDK but if you guys never hear from me again someday, just know that I saw a slabbed box, to go with the slabbed COA and the coin and I just decided to end it right now and went outside and shot myself in the head...

AdamL and dltsrq like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Vertigo

Exactly, that's when I'll shoot myself hahaha I wasthinking of this last night when I wastelling my dealer friend about it

4. Vertigo

Look at what they gave for that first strike huh? You could have gotten a fdoi and had money left over

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

NFC Chip - note the logo on the reverse.

When they first did these in 2018, at least the COA box also had the cert# and the COA#, but these COAs aren't numbered.

JeffC and Inspector43 like this.
  6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yeah, but only those that have been "cracked". They do however guarantee that the coin that used to be in it - has been upgraded ! :)

7. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I don't understand the first strike interest. The US Mint is striking coins now for release next year. They are not keeping track of the order of strike.

8. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

just make sure you use the old fashioned air gun with a cork (remember those?)

Vertigo likes this.
  9. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Um, were these the ancestors of Nerf blasters? o_O

Cal

10. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

Yes Most likely , (not sure what a Nerf blaster is) they had a string attached to the cork so you wouldn't lose it when you shot the bad guy in the early 1960's:punch:

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

There have been before. I believe what really started it was people asking for it when the COAs were numbered so that you could have that identified on the slab

Lol yea you have request it or they wont do it

YankeeDime likes this.
  12. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Oh, I see. Wonder why they didn't stay with matching numbers. Thanks.

13. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

If I was a nasty devious conspiracy theory type person I might say it makes it much less important to keep the 2 pieces together during the slabbing process.

14. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

How many slabs would a TPG slab if a TPG could slab slabs? My woodchuck approved this comment.

Burton Strauss III likes this.
  15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes
    [​IMG]

NSP, 1865King and UncleScroge like this.
  16. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

17. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

Nothing surprises me anymore. It's all about the dollar. It's a marketing thing because there are always people out there that will pay extra for something they think has value. Just like all the crazy slab labels. First Strike / First Day of Issue / Flags / Pictures / Ship Names for the various coins they bring up from the bottom of the ocean / Saltwater Effect etc. Saltwater Effect has been my favorite one. What it really means is we pulled this silver coin off the bottom of the ocean and didn't want to put saltwater corrosion and harshly cleaned on the slab because no one would want it. Put the ship name on the slab and call saltwater corrosion saltwater effect if it makes it easier to sell. Take that coin out of slab and you'll have trouble finding a buyer.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  18. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I have a great idea. Make a COA, sign it, place it in the slab with the coin. Go to Wally World buy a pack of green stickers. Walla, First Party Grader with sticker. I call my green sticker CACA. My heirs can figure it all out!

19. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

A few years ago, I bought a slabbed 2009 Ultra High Relief One Ounce Gold coin. When it was initially sold by the mint, the coin was in a very nice box, which I got when I bought the coin. Now, what am I going to do with the box? It is still in the shipping box from the mint.
    As far as Certificates of Authenticities, where possible, I keep them in the box the coins come in.
    I don't know if there are any that keep the Packing Slips. I've never had to use one, so when I get a Packing slip, I put it in a sheet protector. I have a 3-ring binder for every year and keep any and all documents about my coins. I guess I am a little anal about documentation having been an accountant for more than 30 years (retired now).

20. coiniac

coiniac Member

This just sold for $5906.25 on Oct 31st. So it doesn't surprise me. Just like the first strike on the label of the gold 2016-w Winged Liberty Head dimes. I would think they made them all on the first day, and do they keep them in order as they make them. I guess I don't understand labeling.
    cricket-lead1.jpg

21. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Evan Saltis likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted