A Sicilian love affair: Or how I cheated on Gordian III with tiny dark Greek beauties.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

This is normally the time of year where I would go on another Gordian III buying spree...but something odd has happened. I've rekindled my passion for tiny Greek coins, as well as my love of dark silver beauties. This is my 4rth small Greek coin this year, and the third such with heavy dark toning.

Abacaenum was a very important early Sicilian city-state, and it's known for successfully defending their territory against the mighty Carthaginians on several occasions. However, they seem to have stopped being an independent power and were integrated into later Sicilian kingdoms by the third Century BC.
    Wild boars seem to have been a very popular symbol for coinage of this city state.

86584q00 (1).jpg
    AR litra
    Abacaenum (Tripi, Sicily) 430-420 BCE
    weight 0.857g, maximum diameter 12.6mm
    obverse: laureate bearded male head right; reverse: boar or sow standing right, acorn in the lower right field, ABAK/AINI, starting in exergue, ending retrograde above, linear border; very rare
    SNG ANS 897 (same dies); HGC 2 10 corr. (R2, same dies); Weber 1169; SNG Sicily p. 1, 2 var. (ABA/KAIN); SNG Fitz 883 var. (same)

Well, show any relevant coins, especially dark little Greek beauties, or coinage from this city-state.

PS: Sorry for the click-bait title.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

If nothing else, let's make this a pig party by sharing your delicious pork coinage.

tenor.gif

Jwt708, Ryro, ominus1 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Nice! Fantastic example of the type.

@zumbly did a fun writeup of these coins and the black pigs of Sicily a few years ago. It was a mouth-watering post :). https://www.cointalk.com/threads/pig-acorns-yum.262153/

Most of my pigs are the winged variety.

[​IMG]
    The Pigasus examples shown above are from Klazomenai (the majority of coins in this composite), Kisthene, Mytilene, Samos, and Rhodos (Ialysos).

Here's a more recent acquisition. Steve and I wrestled over when it came up for auction four years ago. He ended up bidding and enjoyed the coin for a while but ultimately it flew home to its rightful owner :D.
    [​IMG]
    MYSIA, Kisthene
    Orontes, satrap of Mysia, c. 357-352 BCE
    AR Half Siglos or Tetrobol; 13 mm, 2.75 gm
    Obv: Nude hoplite crouching left behind shield, spear at ready
    Rev: Forepart of winged boar right
    Ref: Troxell, Orontes 4; SNG France 1164A (Lampsakos); SNG von Aulock
    Very rare.
    ex X6 Collection

A denomination set of Klazomenai winged boars:

[​IMG]

Some wingless pork:

[​IMG]
    Roman Republic, Ti. Veturius
    137 BCE, Rome
    AR denarius, 3.85 gm
    Obv: Helmeted bust of Mars right
    Rev: youth kneeling left, holding pig; two soldiers standing holding spear and touching pig with swords. ROMA above.
    Ref: Crawford 234/1, Sydenham 527, RSC Veturia 1

[​IMG]
    ATTICA, Athens. Eleusis mint
    Eleusinian festival coinage
    340-335 BC
    AE16
    Obv: Triptolemos, seated left in a winged chariot drawn by two snakes
    Rev: Pig standing right on mystic staff, bucranium below
    Ref: SNG Cop 415

[​IMG]
    Celtic potin, Leuci tribe
    80-20 BC
    AE18, 3.4 gm
    Obv: bald warrior head left
    Rev: boar standing left, three half-circles below
    Ref: BN 9100-9104

zumbly, NLL, Jwt708 and 10 others like this.
  6. Sallent

@zumbly 's thread made me crave pork. Got to go look in the freezer now for some porkshops for tonight.

7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

The only pig coin I have is this tiny one from Kyzikos:

Kyzikos Trihemiobol.jpg
    Mysia, Kyzikos (c.480 BC).
    AR Trihemiobol, 10 mm, 1.16 g.
    Obv: Forepart of boar left ; Tunny upward.
    Rev: Head of roaring lion left, outstretched tongue, all within incuse square.
    Ref: Von Fritze, Nomisma IX Kyzikos, Group II, 9 / Table V, 10-11.

8. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

That's a very nice looking coin! I hope I will get my first litra soon, I do not have any coin from Magna Graecia yet :( kind of a shame.

9. Sallent

Litras are fun little silver coins. I think I should stick to this and build a collection of darkly toned Sicilian litras. Don't you think this would look cool with say another 6 or 7 dark litra beauties to go along with these two?

86594q00.jpg
    86584q00 (1) (1).jpg

However, Litra collecting might not be for everybody. Like their tiny bronze counterparts, these little coins are usually pretty dinged up or have other issues. You can see the ding on the boar and the surface corrosion on the obverse of my bird and crab combo, and flat spot on the crab shell. That's just something you are going to have to live with on these coins, unless you care to spend $500+ for a pristine minty sample.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    zumbly, Bing, NLL and 7 others like this.
  10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I like famous pigs.... N8_oQ-.gif

Johndakerftw, Ryro, ominus1 and 3 others like this.
  11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

12. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

What a beauty, that little OP litra (Oink!)

13. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

That is an amazing look litra from Akragas, I really want to catch that crab as well!
    Patina's look pretty, and they are so similar, did you buy them from the same seller?
    Hmm... I think your next litra should be the octopus one from Sicily second democracy...

[​IMG]
    (not mine of course, I wish it was :rolleyes:)

Bing, Jwt708, Ed Snible and 5 others like this.
  14. Sallent

I need one...sure. I do have an onkia though with an octopus. Isn't Sicilian coinage pretty?

zER75bWwyc3D8ePSmFx46nnRL9tk2r (1).jpg

As for the source of the two darkly toned litras, it's not that difficult to find darkly toned ones in the marketplace. Unlike their bigger silver counterparts, a lot of people don't clean these coins (probably because they are so tiny people are afraid to even attempt cleaning). Or maybe because they are usually so beat up and dinged that they actually look much better darkly toned.

15. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

i'm pigless right now, but i think i've got a Sicilian octo coin i just need to clean it...

16. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Beautiful new gal my man (even if she is a bit of a pig). I'm a huge sucker for those Greek island girls as well...especially the cheap ones. Here's some of my pigs and my latest Sicilian octopushy...
    CollageMaker Plus_20184618231150.png
    Arpi, Apulia
    3rd Century BCE.
    Obv. Laureate head of Zeus
    left, to left, ΔAΞOY.
    Rev. Boar right, spear
    above, APΠIANΩN below.
    SNG ANS 635; SNG
    München 438
    CollageMaker Plus_201846164428768.png
    Mysia, Kyzikos
    AR Hemiobol (7.99 mm, 0.37
    g), c. 525-475 BCE.
    Obv. Forepart of boar left;
    tunny to right.
    Rev. Head of roaring lion
    left; star in upper left field.
    SNG France 375.
    Nicely toned and extremely fine
    CollageMaker Plus_20184616471662.png

Lesbos,
    Uncertain mint
    500-460BCE
    Obol BI
    8mm, .89 gr
    Obv: Facing/confronted boars,
    Rev: incuse square
    CollageMaker Plus_201881319349181.png

zumbly, Bing, ominus1 and 4 others like this.
  17. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Wonderful example! I have a couple of these dark, bewitching little Sicilian beauties. There are the seller's pics... I haven't yet been able to take better ones of my own.

00107q00 Kamarina litra.jpg SICILY, Kamarina
    AR Litra. 0.66g, 11.2mm. SICILY, Kamarina, circa 461-440/35 BC. SNG Oxford 1689; Westermark & Jenkins 13. O: Nike flying right; to lower right, swan standing right; all within olive wreath. R: KAMARI, Athena standing left, wearing aegis and holding spear in right hand; to right, shield.

00116q00 Panormos MFB litra.jpg SICILY, Panormos (as Ziz)
    AR Litra. 0.72g, 10.3mm. SICILY, Panormos (as Ziz), circa 405-380 BC. BMC 24; Jenkins, Punic, p. 75, 13. O: Head of horned youthful river god to left. R: ['sys'] (in Punic), Forepart of a bearded man-headed bull to right.

Bing, Ryro, TIF and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted