A Shoe Salesman and Collector of Ancients?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ana Silverbell, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

I have owned this leather coin purse for years. It was an advertising promotion from a shoe store- Tom Newton, Kansas City, Kansas. I am guessing this is from the 1950s. Just a wild guess.

Tom Newton not only sold shoes but I think he collected ancient coins. I often wondered if the coins depicted on the purse (to the extent they are visible) were known ancients. I thought it would be fun to see if any of our CT ancient collectors could identify the coins depicted on the purse. Anyone game? IMG_2259.Purse 1.jpg IMG_2260.Purse 2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's neat! You can read about one of these coins here.

ominus1, Andres2 and Ana Silverbell like this.
  4. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

The coin right in the middle is based on this type. Image copyright NAC:
    5994109.jpg

The coin under it showing to the bottom right might be based on this very rare denarius struck during the Social War, at least that's what struck me from the seeming tail and it's orientation that we see there
    The text isn't quite right since it should be Oscan but neither is the text correct on the one above. Image copyright Nomos:
    3854370.jpg

Bottom left hand corner of the purse appears to be this denarius of T Carisius, image copyright Roma Numismatics:
    6334197.jpg

5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

very kool item..Ana...:)

Ana Silverbell and Stevearino like this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

8. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Dang, all of you folks are awesome. I don't even know the terminology some of you are using. I'm in the process of the second of two auctions divesting myself of sixty years of accumulating coins (mostly US and Canadian) and currency. I'm keeping my paltry accumulation of ancients and Norwegian & US type coins. Just reading these posts makes me impatient to get this auction done with so I can "dive a bit deeper into the ancient pool."

Steve

9. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

The second top left coin appears to copy a Roman Republican denarius with Apollo on the obverse, for example the one shown below (RRC 410/1; image from CRRO). The legend doesn't quite match, though.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-11 um 10.36.00.png

10. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Shea19, Stevearino, zumbly and 9 others like this.
  11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I thought that one looked familiar :D

Roman Collector likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted