A Shocker at Heritage Last Night

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Al Kowsky, Aug 5, 2021.

1. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

The * also makes a big difference. I've catalogued tons of Heritage sales for emperors, types, grades, etc. And when plotting up the top end stuff, the linear trend based on strike and surface numbers is evident. But, the 5-5 and especially * stuff explodes off of the linear trend at the extreme top end.

It's just like with every other collectable. When it comes to people that have enough money to where price doesn't really matter, they want the best of the best (top pop if you will), and they pay whatever they have to pay to get it. This type of coin falls outside of the typical market in which most of us play.

DonnaML likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Ridiculous. If anyone saw that color in the sky they'd never call it a rainbow in a million years.

Theodosius and Roerbakmix like this.
  4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I have a Philip I Ant sitting in my desk, I'm thinking I oughtta Taco Bell napkin the beast an' sell it.

Theodosius likes this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Prices are trending up and up as bored Covid-fatigued people are learning about ancient coins and can't stay away from auctions where the last-minute snipe is getting de rigueur.

6. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

I only have 1 rainbow toned Ancient xD

But I can confirm there was definitely a premium on it.

FC39D4EA-D816-41A2-9F2F-FFCF5372ED74.jpeg

Theodosius likes this.
  7. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

The phrase "rainbow toning" is a figure of speech, not an exact definition. Collectors expressing outrage :rage: over the phrase need to get a grip on themselves & have a cold beer or something stronger :smuggrin:.

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Collectors calling any toning rainbow toning need to learn more about toning before that drink that everyone wants at the end of the day

9. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

The Antoninianii of Philip I from the mint of Antioch do command something of a premium over those minted at Rome because they are somewhat more scarce. However despite the coin featured on this thread by @Al Kowsky being an very attractive example from this mint, I would be hard pressed to come to the conclusion that this coin is worth anywhere near what it made on auction. Mind you a similar specimen (lion facing left) made $1100 in a CNG Auction back in 2012 90001668.jpg

and I bought one for $400 in 2008 (This one to be sold by CNG later in the year) At one time I collected the antoninianii from the mint of Antioch and decided to keep a few. I think they are attractive coins.
    Philip I Ar Antoninianus Antioch 244-249 AD Obv. Bust right radiate draped and cuirassed. Rv. Aequitas standing left RIC 82 var 4.11 grms 21 mm Photo by W. Hansen philsnr8.jpg

10. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

What makes you think they haven't?

Theodosius likes this.
  11. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I wasn't expressing outrage. More incredulity mixed with a little amusement.

12. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Let's be honest, it's the smartest way to land a coin as cheaply as possible, Covid or not!

13. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

One Phillip I have is toned. Whether it is rainbow or not is uncertain.

phillip1.jpg

phillip2.jpg

14. Al Kowsky

T.C., Your coin is a "one in a million" that I wouldn't hesitate to call FDC :happy:! If this coin goes to auction uncertified I will bid on it ;).

rrdenarius likes this.
  15. Al Kowsky

a.c., Rainbow toning implies multi-colored, & your coin falls short of that. Never the less, your coin is a beauty :happy:. New photos with better focus would help ;).

16. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

$1,080.00 for a Philip I double denarius is over the top. I too have seen these coins from his reign show up innumerable times on price lists, auction lots and filling dealers' coin trays and boxes at local shows over the years.

It is a nice coin, a very nice coin, but not for that price, IMHO.

It seems that we are in a new normal, maybe not so new. I just wonder when the bubble will pop.

17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have to wonder how much of the price was driven by style and by the desire to have a coin with a nice chunk out of the flan. I assume that NGC determined that was pre-striking since post-mint damage should have been noted. I also wonder if part of the price is the fact that the coin is not as labeled from the Saecular Games series (issued at Rome) as shown below ($75 ex. Jonathan Kern). Note the coin in question has the less common dated legend not SAECVLARES AVGG. There is certainly quite a difference between a decent VF and whatever you call the toner.
    ro0970b02193lg.jpg

18. Al Kowsky

I agree with you & most of the CT members who responded to this thread, that's why I posted the coin ;). If I saw the coin at a show or dealer's inventory I'd shell out $200.00 for it with no hesitation. I would shell out more for the coin T.C. posted.

19. Al Kowsky

CNG has sold many coins of the type you posted for a lot more than $75.00 :cool:.

20. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

Nice looking portrait, but that grade is a joke. Where's the 'Edge chip' note?

This same coin(OP) sold for $576 in Oct. of last year @Heritage FWIW.

I liken this to: "A fool is easily parted from his money".

Here's another coin with a reverse die-match that hammered for $580EUR in '12 --- When the dies were in slightly better shape IMHO -- Much sharper details.

In fact, upon closer inspection... I believe it may be a double die-match; as the obverse looks to be paired too.
    [​IMG]

PeteB, Tejas, Curtisimo and 5 others like this.
  21. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Maybe rare reverses. I said I could be corrected concerning the rarity of the piece, and someone posted it was a rarer Antioch mint. I know the reverse is more interesting. I guess I would not be a buyer at today's prices which is fine.

Btw, take a really lustrous coin, (like Phillip and Gordian III many times come), and put in an old fashioned manila envelope. Add 5-15 years and you will get rainbow toning like that if not stored in perfect conditions. I have quite a few ancients store that way that I am positive were once blast white but now look like this or prettier. All it takes is nice lustrous silver surfaces and manila envelopes. Not a big deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted