A shilling for your thoughts

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by RussHJB, Sep 12, 2022.

1. RussHJB

RussHJB Active Member

Colonials are always fun and one of the most recognized and sought after is all the Massachusetts shillings. The "pine tree" variety is the most abundant and affordable of the several types. This one we bought from an old collection recently and even though it came back from PCGS as Fine Details I really dig the look. Pine Tree Shilling.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Not to show you up too much, but here is a better one. I have owned this one for many years.

It originally came from a Catherine Bullowa auction. I bid on it but didn't get it. I bought this one a few years later. One day I had the Bullowa catalog out and compared the pictures with the coin. Sure enough, it was the same one! It is a small Pine Tree shilling, Noe 16. This was made after John Hull got the patent for the rest of his life to make these coins. I thought this would get an EF-40 when I sent it to PCGS, but came back as a VF-35.

Small Pine Tree Shilling All.jpg

Here is a British counterpart. This is from approximately the same era. The British shilling were heavier. The idea was to keep the Massachusetts coins from getting imported out of the colony.

1663 Charles II Shilling O.jpg 1663 Charles II Shilling R.jpg

4. RussHJB

RussHJB Active Member

I am HAPPY to be shown up! What an absolutely stunning piece!

Pickin and Grinin and johnmilton like this.
  5. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Here's my 1652 shilling

[​IMG]

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Is the 'details' because of the scratches?

7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I think that it has had some minor clipping done to it. Clipping is where a former owner WAY back in the day clipped off a little metal around the edges. If you clipping off enough from a number of pieces, after a while you had enough silver to make some money from it.

Coins have lettered or reeded edges to discourage clipping.

Draft saved Draft deleted