A Sept. Sev. upgrade (of sorts)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by maridvnvm, Nov 16, 2013.

1. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

There is a series of denarii of Septimius Severus from Emase which we believe date after the earliest AVG issue of A.D. 193 and before the COS II issue. It is possible that it also pre-dates the enigmatic COS II series too. This series end with AVG II COS, AVG CO, AVG II CO and so on. These are generally very rare and have become a focus of mine.

Some years ago I obtained this example from the series.

Obv:– IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG II CO, laureate head right
    Rev:– BONI EVENTVC (sic), Fides standing left holding basket of fruit and corn ears
    Minted in Emesa. A.D. 194
    Reference:– BMCRE -. RIC -. RSC -.
    The II CO series comes from a single obverse die. There are two other examples of this coin known from the same die pair, Bern, formerly in H J Berk stock making mine the third known example.

[​IMG]

I have just bought another coin whic is now the fourth known example. It is less worn on both sides bit this one suffers from an off-centre obverse strike.

[​IMG]

So that makes it my sort of upgrade.

I have several coins from this obverse die and in good condition I think it one of my favourites.

This coin is somewhat special to me in this sub-collection in that it provides a reverse link to the AVG CO die.

Obv:– IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG CO, Laureate head right
    Rev:– BONI EVENTVC, Fides standing left holding basket of fruit and corn ears.
    Minted in Emesa, Late A.D. 193 or Early A.D. 194
    References:– RIC -, RSC -, BMCRE -.

[​IMG]

This coin seems to have been minted before my other two beacuse the die break at the start of EVENTVC is not evident. I would like to obtain more to try and build more information. Do AVG CO examples come before the II CO ones or were they operating in parallel?

Martin

Eng, vlaha, TIF and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

cool those can be relativly dated by the die break!

4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

another double post....sorry.

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I like the new upgrade coin, Martin (actually, they're all very sweet)

=> the upgrade coin has nice eye-appeal

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Very nice upgrade. Congrats.

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Mine is ex Berk, 1996, so I assume it is the one you already counted. rs0850b01226lg.JPG

John Anthony, vlaha and stevex6 like this.
  8. maridvnvm

Thanks Doug.That is great to see. I don't recall seeing that one from you before. It would appear that we have three of the four known examples in this thread.

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

What is Bern? Swiss national collection.
    Since we have the floor to ourselves on this, do you have the one below or know of another? I am very unaccustomed to having a coin that is both rare and high grade but have not found another. The key feature is the rerepeat in rereduc. It could also exist with an IICO obverse.
    rs0880b00158lg.JPG

10. maridvnvm

Great coin Doug. BMC 364, pl. 16.5 is from the same die pair though yours looks nicer than the plate coin.

11. maridvnvm

BTW you are correct. Bern = Swiss national collection.

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I am embarassed to have missed that one. My BMC V is in very bad shape and the plates are hard to see. That is no reason to have missed the text entry.

13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Outstanding!! => it's like watching Darth Vader versus Luke Skywalker doin' a wee bit o' light-saber jousting ... or perhaps Ali versus Fraser (Thrilla in Manilla!!)

=> hats-off, gentlemen => we are in the presence of Sep-Sev-Royalty!!

Man, I love being a crazy coin-fan!! (keep on bringin' it!! ... outstanding)

crazy fans too.jpg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    John Anthony likes this.
  14. maridvnvm

Doug,
    I do have the more usual version of the reverse legend also on the AVG II C.

[​IMG]

15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Here's my normal bu it is a different reverse die:
    rs0870b00467lg.JPG
    and here is a standing FOTVNAE:
    rs0740b02001lgredo.jpg.JPG
    Do you have any die links to that obverse that prove what the thing read? I looks like AVGCO but something could be off flan.

vlaha, John Anthony and stevex6 like this.
  16. maridvnvm

Doug,
    Your coin comes from the single AVG . CO die as used on my BONI EVENTVS above. It is peculiar due to the IMP CE L start to the obverse legend, which I can make out on your example.

The following is a list of the types and sources of all the coins that I am aware of from this obverse die.

BONI EVENTVS, Fides standing left etc. - ANS
    BONI EVENTVC (sic), Fides standing left etc. - Curtis Clay, Martin Griffiths, eBay - all 3 from same die pair and sharing the same rev. die as above with II CO
    FOTVNAE (sic) REDVCI, Fortuna standing left with rudder and cornucopia - BM ex Bickford-Smith ex Curtis Clay, Vienna, formerly Barry Murphy coll., Triton VI lot (M. Melcher coll.), Doug Smith - all same die pair
    MONETAE AVG,Moneta standing left, Curtis Clay, Reka Devnia p. 99 (1 spec. in Sofia)

Regards,
    Martin

John Anthony likes this.
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I had completely forgotten about the Melcher collection in Triton VI. He had relatively few coins but all were EF+. Some were very rare and interesting while others were just EF examples of common types. He did have one coin of great interest to me. Lot 984 was a die duplicate of my coin of the type but showed two dots at the end of the reverse legend missing on my coin due perhaps to the defective flan. Looking further, I note that I also have a coin of this reverse die with a Septimius obverse (an unusual one with both II beyond the point of the bust) and it seems to lack the dots as well. Now I have the question if the dots were added to the die after the first coins were struck. I would love to see other coins of this reverse die.
    The Melcher coin:
    http://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=28096
    My two:

rs5390b01569lg.jpg rs0940b01843fr.jpg

vlaha, Bing and John Anthony like this.
  18. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

This really is an interesting thread. Thanks to Martin and Doug.

19. maridvnvm

The following coin is an obverse die match to the COS - II coin. I don't have any examples of that reverse.

RI 064kk img.jpg

Martin

vlaha and Bing like this.
  20. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Steve tone it down. I hate to be a party pooper, but that picture is pretty gruesome.:confused:

Draft saved Draft deleted