A Selection of World Coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by GSDykes, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

The craftsmanship on the Minh Mang coins was consistently excellent even for the lower value cash. I have quite a few.

panzerman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

Still healthy my man. I busted up my right elbow when I was 70, so I lost some mass in my right arm. No more bench pressing, but I stay under 200 pounds. I take it easy now, I research Biblical manuscripts, and maintain my website, and I collect coins, and English Bibles of the 20th century. My wife also keeps me busy. Years ago in Hemet California, I had a landscaping business, long days and hours, good money!
    Gary in Washington

panzerman likes this.
  4. GSDykes

Below is a very attractive Mexican coin, 20 centavos. Nice high grade coins of this series are really beautiful. Nothing like bronze! Again shot through mylar, axial. mex_20_cent1.jpg

alurid, Jaelus, Razz and 3 others like this.
  5. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Here is a Beautiful Japanese 1964 1000 Yen coin commemorating the XVIII Summer Olympics games held in Tokyo. The obverse depicts Mount Fuji with cherry blossoms. 1964 Japan-ccfopt.jpg

6. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

7. GSDykes

Just curious, this is obviously a high grade coin. But its color is subdued? It does not "glow", may I ask if this image you posted, perfectly displays the coin's color? It seems to be kind of a flat brownish for bronze.
    Gary in Washington

8. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I think it is a tad over lit in these photos; but the color is close...

9. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Little different lighting Polish_20200121_203614455.jpg

panzerman, MontCollector and GSDykes like this.
  10. GSDykes

Better, I suppose the highlights in my images display too much yellow, I used several different bulbs, no adjustment other than "levels" in Photoshop. And I think "Bloom" in Photoscape. Bloom, does just that, the colors bloom. I would say that the actual color is somewhere between our two. Thanks for communicating.
    Gary in Washington, look out all you northeners, more rain snow coming!!

11. GSDykes

My Minh Mang looks more like this:
    [​IMG]
    A cast coin. Your silver beauty is beyond my budget!
    Gary in Washington

panzerman and Muzyck like this.
  12. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I try to get the light on the coin in the shot and only use a photo editor to crop and resize and add text. Polish_20200121_205403206.jpg
    Here is an uncropped shot of my 65. I am trying to show the luster on these coins. I find that axial lighting is great on proof and high luster coins to show the details but it mutes the luster.

panzerman, MontCollector and GSDykes like this.
  13. GSDykes

I also used axial lighting, that is the primary reason why I use Photoshops "Levels" as it removes the "mist", or mutted luster. I also surrounded the shots with white filters, which adds lots of "glow" into the shooting environment. Often I use black, but the coin is in a 2x2.
    Again thanks.
    Gary in Washington

Razz likes this.
  14. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Here is my brown 1967 20 Centavos that shows the details pretty well. 1967Mexico20.jpg

Muzyck, panzerman and Razz like this.
  15. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Here are a few I have shots of. The bottom one is zinc and suffers from the usual corrosion.

Annam 2 less 7 small.jpg
    Annam  less7.jpg
    Vietnam Minh Mang zinc cash obv.jpg

This one is a large cash and is probably a forgery. It looks very good but is just a little bit smaller and lighter than the one in Allan Barker's book on Vietnam cash.

Annam Lục phủ khổng tu, tam sự doãn trị obverse less 5.jpg
    Annam Lục phủ khổng tu, tam sự doãn trị reverse less 5.jpg

GSDykes and MontCollector like this.
  16. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

A bit frustrating as on my camera screen this 67 is sharp and much more rich in color than the 65 ir 66 and yet when the photos get transmitted to my phone they lose resolution. Probably need to hard wire my camera to my laptop... Polish_20200121_212119659.jpg

GSDykes, panzerman and MontCollector like this.
  17. GSDykes

Mine is not as brown.

18. GSDykes

Now we are getting closer to a nice color of the actual coin. Nice photos. Thanks RAZZ.
    Gary in Washington

19. GSDykes

Below is a large coin from Bhutan, KM# 50. Minted in Germany for Bhutan. Shot through mylar. Interesting hat with the bird on top! Indicates a ruler.

Bhutan_2x2big.jpg

alurid, MontCollector and Muzyck like this.
  20. GSDykes

Below is a rather rare coin from Tibet, Y#28.1. Lots of varieties exist for these coins, care must be taken to attribute, I think I have this one correct:

Tibet_2x2.jpg
    Gary in Washington

MontCollector likes this.
  21. GSDykes

Below is a nice 5 Paise from Nepal, these are often hammered, and can be somewhat crude. I think this one was minted in the modern sense: I like the footprints above the swords!

Nepal_2x2.jpg

alurid and MontCollector like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted