A Selection of World Coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by GSDykes, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

spirityoda, That's a wonderful design :D! The proof version is breathtaking :jawdrop:.

spirityoda and panzerman like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

1711 Great Britain Shilling KM#533.2

1711 Shilling Obverse.PNG 1711 Shilling Reverse.PNG

GSDykes, MontCollector and alurid like this.
  4. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

From Polish Auction....
    AV Dukat 1633 K-B Kremnitz Mint
    HRE Ferdinand II
    Hungary
    MS-68
    This coin was struck during the Thirty Years War 1618-48.
    Ferdinand was head of the Imperial forces, fending off the Protestant Invaders from Sweden/ Denmark. Later Cardinal Richelieu a Catholic would go turncoat and join the Protestant side. France now joined up with Sweden/ Denmark/ Sachsen vs the HRE/ Spain. 9abd7c4941789df2c02b4a9a4f13febb.jpg

5. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

Do we know the species of the beetle? Judging by body shape and length of antenna it's a longhorn beetle...family Cerambycidae.

6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

7. panzerman

Correct! I had a huge beetle/ butterfly coll. Still have lots.
    Selling them to buy gold coins. Already sold 300K of rare bugs. IMG_0264.JPG IMG_0266.JPG IMG_0289.JPG IMG_0304.JPG IMG_0316.JPG

Attached Files:

8. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

9. GSDykes

Below is one of my favorites, as it also has a religious/historical theme. It is a Slovakian 20 Korun, 1941. On its obverse are Saints Cyril and Methodius, men who brought the gospel into SE Europe, and they created the Cyrillic script for the languages in the area, all about A.D. 820. They also used fairly old Greek manuscripts for their exemplars, similar to the Byzantine text-type. Click to zoom in.

Slovak_Korun_2x2.jpg

Gary in Washington

alurid, MontCollector and panzerman like this.
  10. panzerman

Yes, I use to post a lot of my material on "Insectnet.com"
    This was devoted to entomologists/ collectors of beetles/ moths/ butterflies/ etc. I had around 20K mounted specimens housed in 450 Calif. Academy dtawers/ cabinets.
    I am down to 12K specimens presently. Just like the "Tyrant collection" has over a billion dollars in rare coins, some butterfly collections are worth tens millions of dollars. IMG_0250.JPG IMG_0425.JPG IMG_0417.JPG IMG_0418.JPG

11. GSDykes

Below is one of the more beautiful Bi-metallics (IMHO). It is a 2009 Czech Republic 50 Korun. This design first appeared in 1993. The city of Prague is in view. Kind of grainy as I am still adjusting light for coppers. (P.S . I collect first edition Bi-metallics, that is, the the first Bi's made by a certain country. The very first Bi-metallic and issued was made in Italy!). I really like the copper/brass color combination!!

Czech_2x2.jpg

Gary in Washington

Muzyck, panzerman and spirityoda like this.
  12. GSDykes

Panzerman,
    at our ages I am almost 73 (next week), it would be harder to dispose of butterflies than gold, yes? At my age I do think about what I leave behind, and how my relatives may use or sell it/them. Have you any thoughts on the collection, at Noah's Ark in Kentucky (I think), quite diverse, not as focused on butterflies as what I see of yours. Stunning colors. I have also seen some metallic beetles of stunning colors! Amazing creations!!
    Gary in Washington (thanks for showing).

panzerman likes this.
  13. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Try playing with your background color in editing as well. Some copper coins stand out better with darker backgrounds.

GSDykes likes this.
  14. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Amazing butterflies wow.

panzerman likes this.
  15. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

I have posted this coin in multiple threads before. I started collecting in my pre-teens and this coin was on the cover of one of the catalogs I would browse through in the reference section of my local library. Never thought the day would come where I would own one. I don't usually feel compelled to buy entombed coins, but wanted to ensure that I was purchasing the genuine article.

Viet Nam - Minh Mang 7 Tien, 1834

Annam 7 Tien 1834 obverse.jpg
    Annam 7 Tien 1834 reverse.jpg

GSDykes, panzerman, alurid and 2 others like this.
  16. panzerman

I would say high quality gold coins would be very easy to sell, every auction firm would be dying to have them, in their auction. But again, if you have a insect collection/ high AI quality specimens.....they sell really well privately/ Paris Natural History auction. Every collectible depends on rarity/ quality. By the way, Eric Newman collected coins into his 100s, the way it should be:happy: I maintain lawns/ gardens for a living. Lots of 100 hour weeks.... IMG_1215.JPG

GSDykes likes this.
  17. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

John, I love that Kremnitz Mint ducat :D! Ferdinand II looks like a cartoon character with that over-sized head :hilarious:. Your insect collection looks breathtaking :jawdrop:. You're a true Renaissance man ;). BTW, Happy Birthday next week old man :oldman:.

panzerman likes this.
  18. panzerman

Thanks Al!

I really loved my insect collection, but decided to give that up and use $$$ to buy coins. My Birthday is on May 12th.:happy:

19. GSDykes

Thank you, I will work on that. I sometimes print out my images, for viewing off-line, and I try to take it easy on the black ink. But it does improve my results. Again thank you,
    Gary in Washington

20. GSDykes

Outstanding coin of old Viet Nam, has me drooling.
    Gary in Washington

21. GSDykes

My next post is in error coins, a 1000 Peso Mexican, 1988. Then a Mexican lamination error, then back to here.
    Gary

Muzyck likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted