A Saxon sceatta

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roerbakmix, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

Today, with help of @AnYangMan, my 53th sceatta arrived safely from England.
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-28 at 16.09.17.jpeg
    Anglo-Saxon AR sceatta, Hamwic mint, secondary phase (c. 720-745 AD). Series H BMC type 39. Obv: Pecking bird in beaded foliage, right, wing raised and curled, pellet eye, beak open, feet splayed, pellets in field. Rev: void Celtic cross, encompassing four rosettes, central rosette, no pellet cross.
    Found near Westield Farm Cheriton at 21-05-2006 (according to the notes that were sent with the coin).
    Abramson 46-10

The coin is absolutely lovely in hand: sharply struck, underlying lustre, high relief and a pleasant toning. I hesitated a bit because of the blurry Ebay photo's, but took the gamble because the price was quite right, and I lacked this type in my collection.

It's closely related to the other Series H coin (BMC 49), which I've bought a while ago. This coin is clearly in less stellar condition, with corrosion on the obverse, and delamination on the reverse:
    upload_2021-10-29_22-5-13.jpeg

Metcalf presents a map with the known finds of series H type 39 and type 49:
    upload_2021-10-29_22-14-0.png
    My new coin fits well within this chart, as it was found near Hamwic (current Southampton), as denoted with the red cross.

I'll keep it short, as I'm tired after a long working day. I guess @Nap will have a similar type, and would invite him, and others, to post their Series H, or any other coin relevant.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

A very cool coin, great find!

4. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

Nice pick-up!

The series H sceattas are generally associated with Hamwic, based on find spots. Apparently they didn’t circulate that much beyond this area.

Here’s my only series H:
    066045C2-87FD-485F-A12E-DCCBDD5C4C36.jpeg

5. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

Good to see you’re back! That’s a nice type 41. The face on the obverse is usually too worn, as in my example.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted