A Sandy Securitas

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, Jun 6, 2020.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I was attracted to my latest coin by both the patina and the crisp style. Admittedly, I had a concern about the patina being genuine (it's not often you see a 'desert' patina on a dupondius from Gaul), but once the piece was in hand my fears were allayed.

V1156.jpg Vespasian
    Æ Dupondius, 12.79g
    Lyon mint, 71 AD
    Obv: IMP CAESAR VESPASIAN AVG COS III; Head of Vespasian, radiate, r.; globe at point of bust
    Rev: SECURITAS AVGVSTI; S C in exergue; Securitas std. r., head resting on raised arm, with sceptre; to r., altar and torch
    RIC 1156 (R). BMC 808. BNC -.
    Acquired from Cooper Coins, eBay, May 2020.

Lugdunum (modern Lyon) struck a fairly large issue of aes coinage during the great bronze issue of 71. Most of the reverse types copy those produced at Rome, however, unique to the mint is this version of the Securitas type showing her resting her head on her hand in a relaxed pose - no doubt based on a cult image. Mattingly observed in the BMCRE 'The type of Securitas was not without reason popular in Gaul after the terrors of the revolt.' (p. lxi) Obverse die match with the BM specimen, missing from Paris.

Feel free to post your sandy treasures.

Alegandron, Orielensis, PeteB and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

That's a wonderful addition. I really like the sandy patina on this one. Congrats.

David Atherton likes this.
  4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

You don't see them on the bronze pieces of the early Empire very often (at least I haven't) - nice coin and patina!

David Atherton likes this.
  5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Sandy treasure or ...

[​IMG]
    Licinius I, AD 308-324.
    Roman billon follis, 3.43 g, 19.1 mm, 11 h.
    Antioch, sixth officina, AD 321-323.
    Obv: IMP C VAL LICIN LICINIVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: IOVI CONSERVATORI, Jupiter standing left, holding Victory on globe and eagle-tipped scepter, another eagle to feet to left, captive seated on ground to right; X/IIΓ in field, right; SMANTS in exergue.
    Refs: RIC vii, p. 682, 35; Cohen 74; RCV 15225.

Draft saved Draft deleted