A round up of last months

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Limes, May 17, 2019.

1. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

So, basically i almost spent my coin budget for the rest of the year already. But it is ok, because i got coins from my want list AND a nice distraction, which i never can resist. Two more auction wins are on their way, i will post those when they have arrived and i photographed them. With every coin, there's a little story why i liked it, had it on my want list, but also why i bought this particular coin. Even though i like them them a lot and everything is a matter of taste, i do hope you guys like them too! And i do hope i do not spam everyone with these coins. (Displayed in order of buying)

# 1 Nerva dupondius
    1c Nerva tekst.jpg
    Well, the first one is not on my want list. Actually i wanted a denarius of Nerva, which i got in the same auction (libertas reverse). But i couldn't resist this one because of the nice patina.

# 2 Titus denarius
    19a Titus tekst.jpg
    I believe Titus would be a very good emperor, he was, but unfortunately his ending perhaps came too soon. The Flavian dynasty is ofcourse best remembered because of the collosseum. I had this one on my want list because the elephant refers to the animals used in the opening games of the colosseum. And since i never could afford the sestertius with the colosseum reverse itself, with this coin i have a reference to the symbol of Roman power (right?) in hand. And its the only coin where friend and family say "ah yes, interesting".

# 3 Hadrianus denarius
    10b Hadrianus tekst.jpg
    Was able to win this one at a fair price. But then came the shipping and 'handling', stupid me... (US to Europe). Anyway, i got this because i have a dream of one day have all the Hadrian travel coins....

# 4 Augustus & Agrippa dupondius
    05b Augustus Agrippa.jpg
    Had this on my list, because of the crocodile (its sometimes just that simple with me). Love the colour on this one. And even though i was sceptical with this coin and the seller, (but thanks to you people i went for it!) it turned out i got to know this guy via a shared aquientence!

#5 Clodius Albinus denarius
    01 Clodius Albinus tekst.jpg
    A distraction, so to say. Nevertheless i had the emperor on my want list, very very low priority, and the 'augustus' type. But the price was right, and in hand it is a very pretty coin.

# 6 Vespasianus denarius
    18a Vespas tekst.jpg
    Remember the shared aquientence from coin # 4? Got this one via him too. A bit off center, but nice shade of grey/silver (won't use the word toning with this one though). And yes, who does not want a coin of IVDAEA, right?

# 7 Marcus Antonius denarius
    02 Marcus Antonius tekst.jpg
    Last one, and another distraction. But a very pretty one. I got this one at my second coin show visited. Between the stamps, cards and modern coins, i found this one, and for a fair amount of money (at least, i think so). I was not looking for one, but i had in the back of my head that one day i needed to update my current coin of this type (leg VII). The flan is small, but it's really think. And again, the colouring grey/silver is nice (perhaps this one deserves the word toning?).

And that is it, for now. Thank you for reading, and I hope you like my coins! Feel free to comment, ask questions, or question my information. Cheers!

[edit: add that the info of the Titus coin i got from CNG E-Auction 318]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

All absolutely fantastic coins, I love your presentation as well, very nice indeed.

4. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Excellent selection. That would make my year too !

Q

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Every one a winner but that Nerva is exceptional! Congratulations.

7Calbrey likes this.
  6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Every coin an acquisition to be proud of! And that Nerva is to die for!

7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Great group of coins @Limes , 5 of the 7 would be "list" coins for me as well. I'd like to have 7 out of 7 of them!

8. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the kind replies!

9. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Those are some really beautiful coins. If you're going to bust your budget, you should bust it on the good stuff! That Nerva has my favorite color of patina.

10. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

They are all great coins! That's an amazing assortment and many are on my want list as well. Great stuff.. great quality!

Here is my Nerva dupondius. Not nearly as nice as yours but it's one of my favorites..
    NervaMERGE.jpg

Bing, gogili1977, Limes and 2 others like this.
  11. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

A truly astounding group of coins! Coingrats!!!
    Though everyone is ga-ga for that Nerva (deservedly so), I'm nuts for that Agrippa Augustus alligator:woot:
    One of the best strikes and centering of my favorite of the type that I've seen. Here's my humble butt example with the gator wondering off coin:

BD35538A-F23C-419C-822A-F5D02B8D8847.png

Bing, Limes and Johndakerftw like this.
  12. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

These are all so fantastic. I love the Titus elephant denarius. As for your budget, I would bet it's a tradition that most of us collectors blow our annual budget by early spring.

Draft saved Draft deleted