A Roman Republic Bronze of Macedonia...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mikey Zee, May 27, 2016.

1. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

This particular bronze appealed to me due to its ancient look, although the worn/poorly struck details seem typical of the 'type'. Then I realized instead of ROMA in exergue, there was a mintmark for Thessalonika.....indicating that this was a semi-autonomous strike under Roman Rule, circa 158-88 BC. As a bronze AE-23, with a bust of Poseidon, it nicely complements my silver and bronze issues and it may be that this denomination itself is a bit scarce, whatever it may be LOL. And this variant with the barely recognizable dolphin in the front of the prow on the reverse may make it a bit rare. I hope some of you may be able to clarify those aspects of this coin for me.

As always, please post any coins, however remotely related, that you may wish to share.

AE-23, Under Roman Rule, struck circa 158-88 BC,
    Thessalonika, Macedonia.
    Laureate head of Poseidon right, prow of galley right, dolphin in front.
    SNG ANS 798 variant, SNG COP 364
    12.91 grams, 23 mm.
    RR roman rule bronze macedonia.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

These don't excite me much, which is why I ignore the threads on them. But I like this one. Very nice.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i think it's a pretty good lookin' coin MZ...rugged but cool, can still make out the legends and the details, color is nice, can see the cool little dolphin.

i have a couple coins with an "look ancient" inbound! :woot:

stevex6 and Mikey Zee like this.
  5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Does a god on the obverse with a prow reverse count?

[​IMG]
    Roman Republican, Hispania
    AE, semis, 8.6g, 23mm; 2h; Hispania, 1st century BC
    Obv.: Laureate head of Saturn right; S (mark of value) behind
    Rev.: Prow left, S (mark of value) above
    In Ex.: ROMA

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I really like Roman Republican Empire issues. Pretty cool as they were learning how to consolidate and run an Empire with Provinces, etc. while still a Republic.

upload_2016-5-27_16-28-54.png
    Macedon as Roman Province, District of Bottiaia.
    Gaius Publius Tamios, Quaestor
    AE20, 7.6g, 12h; Macedonian mint, c. 168-166 BCE
    Obv: Helmeted head of Athena right.
    Rev: ΓΑΙΟΥ / ΤΑΜΙΟΥ; Cow standing right; monogram beneath
    Ref: SNGCop 1322, Lindgren Europe 1350

7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sweet ... that's a very cool OP-coin (congrats)

oh, and congrats to all of the other neat coin-thread examples

hmmm? ... I guess I have a fairly similar example with a downward dolphin

AE Semis.jpg

again => you fricken rock, and that's a great OP-coin (congrats)

8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I like your new coin, Mikey, and love all of those little Macedonian bronzes!

Here's a bronze from Macedonia under Roman rule and I post it at every opportunity :D

[​IMG]
    MACEDON, under Roman rule
    D. Junius Silanus Manlianus, praetor

142-141 BCE
    AE, 20 x 22 mm, 9.5 gm
    Obv: Facing mask of Silenus, wearing ivy wreath
    Rev: MAKE ΔONΩN legend In two lines; D above; all within ivy wreath
    Ref: SNG Copenhagen 1324

9. Mikey Zee

Love the posts guys!!!!

Hope everyone is enjoying this 'Memorial Day' weekend!!!

The weather here in New York couldn't be better!! I even started 'power washing' the house, deck and driveways ....while sippin' the suds LOL

Magnus Maximus, Alegandron and TIF like this.
  10. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

I do not have a bronze of Macedonia under Roman Rule, but do you accept silver?
    Macedonia, First Meris,
    Amphipolis Mint
    167 - 149 BC.
    AR Tetradrachm, 16.59 g x 32 mm
    Obv: Diademed and draped bust of Artemis right, bow and quiver over shoulder, in the center of a Macedonian shield,
    Rev: MAKEΔONΩN ΠPΩTHΣ, horizontal club, monograms above and below, all within oak wreath,
    ref: SNG COP 1313

FirstMerisReshoot2.jpg

11. Alegandron

Pretty Weekend here in NC also... Why don't you bring your powerwasher down here, and I will supply massive quantities of SUDS!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    Mikey Zee likes this.
  13. AngelDeath

AngelDeath Well-Known Member

Is this the same time period?

Attached Files:

14. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Yours is a century or so later(circa 44/45 B.C. I believe), and not struck in Macedonia. I don't have my references at hand, nor am I well-versed enough with this period to pin it down any further, however. Maybe someone else can.

15. Mikey Zee

Certainly seems to be in the ballpark:happy:

That's a tempting offer 'Al', but i hate the three hour security delays at JFK airport...Maybe on the 4th????:rolleyes::p:D

Alegandron likes this.
  16. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

A couple of bronzes struck under Gaius Poplilius and Lucius Fulcinnius, quaestors under consul Lucius Aemilius Paullus after the Roman domination of Macedon during the third Macedonian War. Paullus was later awarded the title Macedonicus for his decisive tail-kicking in Macedon.

Combined.JPG
    Macedon, Roman Rule, Æ22(10.65g). Gaius Publilius, Quaestor, 168-167 BC. Head of Roma right, wearing winged helmet terminating at the top in the head of a griffin. Border of dots / ΓΑΙΟΥ ΤΑΜΙΟΥ ΠΟΠΛΙΛΙΟΥ in two lines within a wreath of oak-leaves. Above, monogram. Line border. MacKay, "Bronze Coinage In Macedonia, 168-166 BC," ANSMN 14 (1968), pp. 5, pl.III, 2; SNG Copenhagen 1320.

RomaeAeternaepic.jpg
    Macedon, Roman Rule, Æ21(9.17g). Lucius Fulcinius, Quaestor, 167 BC. Head of Roma right, wearing winged helmet terminating at the top in the head of a griffin. Border of dots / ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΩΝ ΤΑΜΙΟΥ ΛΕΥΚΙΟΥ ΦΟΛΚΙΝΝΙΟΥ in three lines within a wreath of oak-leaves. Above, monogram. Line border. MacKay, "Bronze Coinage In Macedonia, 168-166 BC," ANSMN 14 (1968), pp. 6-7, pl.III, 7; BMC Macedonia 80.

These are still the only two in my "Roman Republic Provincial" category in my collection but I'm on the hunt for one an example of the Silenus type, but waiting for one similar to TIF's before I pull the trigger, so I'll probably be waiting a while.

17. Alegandron

Your always WELCOME! We would have a blast together!

Mikey Zee and Ancientnoob like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted