A Roman Provincial which is giving me a headache

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JulesUK, Jan 10, 2021.

1. JulesUK

JulesUK Well-Known Member

This was one of my last purchases of the previous year and I have been unable to satisfactorily ID it.
    I have spent so much time squinting at it under the magnifying glass that it has given me a headache - so, after some aspirin, can anyone help clarify the ID of this coin any further please? I am indebted as always.
    The closest I have come to an ID is found on these two links which may assist:-
    https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/lo...ch___r_aquila_with_signa/1364169/Default.aspx

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/gallienus/_antiochPisidia_SNGPfalz_172.txt

Here is what I have so far:-

GALLIENUS (AD 253-268). Pisidia, Antioch. AE 21mm 4.54g

OBV: IMP CAES P LIC (GALIIO) PF AV(G) – (Bracketed letters are uncertain ones)

Head of Gallienus, Radiate, draped & Cuir right

REV: ANTIO-CHI CL - Vexilium surmounted by eagle, between two standards. SR in ex

14-RP Gallienus Antioch.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I found this on Wildwinds, listed as SNG Pfalz 172:
    [​IMG]
    Here's the text:
    "Gallienus, AE of Antioch, Pisidia.

IMP CAES P LIC GALIEN PF AV (Greek L in LIC, N retrograde, AV
    ligate), radiate, draped, cuirassed bust right.
    ANTIO-CHI CL, SR below, vexilium surmounted by eagle, between two standards.

SNG Pfalz 172

Contributed by Ralf Woellner, Nov. 2013."

Bing, Marsyas Mike, Andres2 and 3 others like this.
  4. JulesUK

JulesUK Well-Known Member

Yes, thats the closest I came to also but I wasnt 100% convinced. Thanks for posting.

5. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Actually, I think the lettering in the obverse inscription is more distinctive on your coin than the WW example, and I have more confidence in your description. But I have no idea how you might track down a copy of SNG Pfalz to check this. First I've even heard of it.

JulesUK likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted