A request for those interested in European medieval numismatics

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by seth77, Sep 25, 2017.

1. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

I'm preparing an article about a specific type of denier tournois assigned traditionally to Louis IX of France, so I'd like to ask of you to please post here your deniers of Saint Louis, if you'd like.

Any and all additions of deniers tournois of Louis is welcome and very much appreciated and might help me in gathering material for this article.

Thank you so much!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Afraid I only have feudal issues. Good luck Seth!

4. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

[​IMG]
    LOUIS IX dit Saint Louis (1245-1270 A.D.)
    Denier tournois
    O: + LVDOVICVS REX Kreuz.
    R. +TVRONVS.CIVIS (N bouleté) / Châtel tournois
    .89g
    17mm
    Duplessy 193

Deacon Ray, Ajax, spirityoda and 6 others like this.
  6. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

Wish I had one, but not yet. But I will be interested in reading your article when it is finished!

RAGNAROK likes this.
  7. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Sorry, all I have for Saint Louis is a Gros Tournois.

8. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

a worthwhile quest. ST. LOUIS COIN 001.JPG ST. LOUIS COIN 002.JPG Deneir St. Louis/King Louis of France 1245-70 AD

Deacon Ray, Bing, spirityoda and 2 others like this.
  9. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

10. ominus1

not at the moment, no.

11. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

A question then: between LVDOVICVS and REX and TVRONVS and CIVIS is there a device on the legends or the S is horizontal?

12. AnYangMan

AnYangMan Well-Known Member

Nope, no Louis here, sorry. Best I can do are a couple of denier Tournois from his grandfather, Phillipe II. Good luck on the article!

13. ominus1

Sorry I'm not much help, i'll pull it out of the safe later today and try to get a better pic of it.
    O

seth77 likes this.
  14. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Thank you, much appreciated!

15. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

16. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

17. ominus1

Here ya go.. i dreaded digging it out, but i'm glad i did now. I'd forgot how many coins i had of that era. It was like i just got them:) i hope you can see these, this is about as good as i can do. i'm curious as to what it says when you figure it out. denier King Saint Louis d.1275 ad 003.JPG o-1

Attached Files:

RAGNAROK, Johndakerftw, Bing and 3 others like this.
  18. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

It is a very interesting specimen. The S of LVDOVICVS is vertical but both S's on the reverse legend are couchee.

Something similar can be seen here. You can note the horizontal S of TVRONVS. Judging from the pictures, which are still blurry, your specimen has both S's on the reverse horizontal.
    An artistic license of the celator?

RAGNAROK and ominus1 like this.
  19. ominus1

it could be, i know little other than it's a coin of St. Louie. Thanks for the info, if you want i can take another pic not so micro of it.

20. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Conventionally the TVRONVS CIVIS tournois were minted from 1245 to cca. 1270. The different design devices - like annulets, dots, apostrophes, etc might also have reasons other than purely decorative.
    The different shapes of the letters have already been studied and are sometimes taken into account at a more in-depth identification.

ominus1 and RAGNAROK like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted