A repaired Aegina turtle stater in auction

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by pprp, Sep 21, 2021.

1. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

This appears in a current auction listing without any note of the repair.

turtle1.jpg

The same coin from an earlier passage in a different sale.

turtle2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Wow. Yep, same coin, all right. I note the same small scratch at 9:00 near the rim. They toned it up nicely, too.

4. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

So what was repaired, the coin or the photo? It would take me about 15 seconds to change photo #2 into photo #1 with Photoshop.

dougsmit, DonnaML and derkerlegand like this.
  5. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

The coin has been repaired - the banker's mark has been filled in. Here's another photo from another venue...
    turtle3.jpg

sand, philologus_1, ominus1 and 2 others like this.
  6. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Wow, well spotted!

7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

The first image looks like a bad photoshop blur. The one that @pprp posted shows the filling clearer.

8. Hrefn

Hrefn Well-Known Member

I have no idea how a repair such as this could be spotted without knowledge of the prior state of this particular coin. Do we have to scrutinize auction archives on every potential coin on which we plan to bid, not for insight into the desirability and prior sales prices, but to guard against fraud? That makes collecting seem much less fun, to me.

Ed Snible and Roman Collector like this.
  9. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Also, why would you fill in the banker's mark. I understand that a "perfect" coin is more desirable but wouldn't the filling in this case make it less so?
    The banker's mark is original to the coin and the time period. I'd rather have one with the mark in it showing it was used in trade vs one that had the mark and was filled to be more aesthetically pleasing.
    Considering these types of coins are way beyond my collecting means, perhaps it just has to do with someone who can afford such a coin and their tastes.

Curtisimo, DonnaML, Cucumbor and 3 others like this.
  10. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

Yes, unfortunately you need to check the history of each coin yourself and not assume that experts-advisors-dealers checked it already. And yes this is very demotivating.

11. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

The coin with the banker's stamp sold for 1600 euros. The price without this mark would be 4000-5000 euros. Someone did the repair in an effort to make money.

TIF, FrizzyAntoine, Curtisimo and 8 others like this.
  12. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Obliterating a bankers mark is unforgivable. It is part of the history.

Alegandron, sand, Curtisimo and 4 others like this.
  13. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

@pprp, have you notified the auction house?

PeteB and Roman Collector like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted