Featured A Recap of the EAC (Early American Copper) Additions to My Collection over the Last Year

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eduard, May 11, 2020.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

The last 12-15 months have been the most interesting and rewarding in my 30 Year+ EAC collecting journey.

Over this time period, I was first able to add a very nice 1800 Draped Bust cent, variety Sheldon-205, Rarity-4, a fortunate eBay find which would be difficult to repeat. 1800 cent S-205 OBV:REV OKP.png

Just a few months later, I made what is, and will probably forever remain the best (and luckiest) find I ever made in my Early Copper collecting journey: a 1766 William Pitt Farthing. A very scarce and historical coin/token which is currently rated Rarity-6, with about 25 examples known. It is now coin # 13-15 in the latest census of this rare issue.
    PITT FARTHING - MY EXAMPLE - OBV:REV - VGP !!!!    .png

A little later, in September 2019 and purely by chance, I "discovered" in my own collection a very rare 1837 Feuchtwanger Cent, Variety 3-D which is currently rated Rarity-7, which had lain dormant in my collection since 1986. I say "discovered" because I originally put this coin aside as part of a large lot purchase, and never paid much attention to it for over 3 decades until then. That was really a major surprise!
    Feuchtwanger cent 1837 OBV:REV  VGP.png

This very nice 1794 Liberty Cap cent turned up a short time later: A pretty and well detailed Sheldon-28, rarity-2, one of the more appealing '94 busts in my opinion. I had been wanting to expand my collection of 1794's and this was just the type of coin I was looking for.
    1794 cent S-28 OBV:REV VVVGGGPPP  !!!!!.png

Finally, just a few months ago in 2020, this 1794 cent, variety S-45 turned-up unattributed at auction. Sheldon-45 is very rare, sharing a reverse with NC-6 and is considered to be a rarity 5+ variety. This example is considered to be in the top 3-5 examples of this rare variety.
    1794 cent s-45 OBV:REV VVGGPP.png

Sorry if I possibly sound a little exhuberant :):):)... but a Copper Collectors heart could hardly be happier. And, please, do not hesitate to post those finds which have given you the most satisfaction in the recent past.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    Cucumbor, vlaha, Seba79 and 23 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I have a big soft spot for U.S. Half & Large Cents. Those are all wonder looking coins. I like the Feuchtwanger Cent as well. Great stuff, Eduard.

Eduard likes this.
  4. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you Mat! I'ts been a great year for EAC collecting.

Ups ! It seems I posted this in the wrong forum I will ask for this to be posted in the main US coin forum.

5. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

@ToughCOINS , could you please repost this thread in the U.S Coin Forum?

6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I always get excited when I see your avatar in the new threads. And Eduard, you never disappoint!

St Gaudens collector and Eduard like this.
  7. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Done

Eduard likes this.
  8. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you very much.

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Like I have said many times before, if I were into US coins today I would be a EAC collector. I was a SL/Capped bust half collector before. I just burned out of it, and then slabs came in and they lost me.

Eduard likes this.
  10. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Congratulations! Now off to NGC with them... just teasing ;-)

Randy Abercrombie and Eduard like this.
  11. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

Eduard, it’s astounding the amazing coins you have acquired or “rediscovered” in the last year or so. Thank you for sharing! Congrats. Anytime both you and EAC are part of a thread, it’s a must read for me. All of your threads are very informative. It seems we share many collecting interests.

Randy Abercrombie and Eduard like this.
  12. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Eduard you have a great eye for quality and rarity! congratulations on those purchases. And I really like your Feuchtwanger.
    I'll add that coin rarities online has a Pitt farthing in XF40 for sale for almost 40,000.

buckeye73 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  13. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you, Randy! very kind of you.
    You USA 'Bar' Token you showed us sometime back got my interest as well.

I'm with you - one of the nice things about EAC collecting is that (many/most?) EAC collectors do not concern themselves too much with slabs.

NSP and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  14. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you, @buckeye73 ! I have had quite a few areas of collecting interest over the years, some come and go after a while, but the one that keeps drawing me back is EAC.

Thank you for your comment, and for pointing out the Pitt farthing currently at C.R.O. I looked at it yesterday and it is a very nice example. I do not recall seeing that one before.

ksparrow likes this.
  15. St Gaudens collector

St Gaudens collector Active Member

That S-45 is amazing but I also like the DB quite a bit.

Eduard likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted