A really nice Korea coin 1892 fun

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by gxseries, Sep 24, 2013.

1. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Finding a coin from this era in strong UNC / aUNC condition is really difficult, in particular the smaller denomination 1 fun.

I am really stoked to obtain one in raw condition like this.

[​IMG]

Unlike the larger denomination 5 fun, this coin is more yellow than red as it has aluminum in it. Only minted for four years, it seems to be a lot less common than 5 fun in any condition. UNC condition just makes it a lot more desirable.

Here's an example of 5 fun

[​IMG]

Bear in mind that a lot of these 5 fun coins were shipped off to China to be overstruck as 10 cash (most likely by private mints / fraud entrepreneurs). Even so, I reckon for every 1 fun coin out there, there's at least 10 of 5 fun coins. It's a "fun" collection. :)

TIF, chrsmat71 and spirityoda like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

nice looking coins.

4. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Thanks for sharing, gx.

That 1 Fun IS unusual to find in that nice condition. That much I know(!) Actually, I'm just getting to learn more about these older Korean Empire coins.

Please keep posting your Korean coins. You're about the only person here at CT that has an interest in (and purchases) Korean numismatics. I always appreciate seeing them.

Also, it's pronounced "foon" (long 'o' sound), but the people in charge at the time transliterated "푼" as 'FUN'. But you already knew that...

5. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Will post them when I see them mlov43. I've just won another couple of 1 fun coins - didn't come cheap but they are getting very difficult to find. Might be undervalued but not for long. (I tend to have some luck in buying them before prices go out of control - I swear someone must be checking out my collection and speculate on them)

I managed to upgrade one of the filler 1 fun coins that's totally ruined and that took at least four years (!). I've also managed to find a scarce variety of a 5 fun coin and that took seven years (!!!). One of the key dates for the 5 fun coin is the 1899 5 fun - the last time I saw one for sale, it shot past the 18,000 dollar mark. Nearly fell off the chair when I saw the final price...

Will be updating my homepage about these coins.

spirityoda likes this.
  6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

nothing like getting a coin you've been on the hunt for 5-12 years. I can relate to that.

Draft saved Draft deleted