A really cool birthday present

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Billy Kingsley, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Yesterday was my birthday and this is what my brother gave me-
    [​IMG]

$50 in rolls from the bank!

It has been a while since I've done any rolls or gotten a new addition to the collection, so this is very cool. So far I'm less than 1/3rd of the way through but I have already found some interesting stuff- with the best being a nickel error. I think it's a lamination but it may be a strike through, I am not sure....Maybe one of you will know? (Sorry for the lousy pictures!)

[​IMG]

I have also found a Canadian nickel, I already had the year (1995) but this is a bigtime upgrade. Only one wheat cent so far, a 1944, but 2010 cents are averaging one per roll...unfortunatly most of them are already nasty with black spots, fingerprints or scuzz, so into the spending jar they go. Some 2010 P dimes too. (I already had good examples of both)

Thanks for looking!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Happy Birthday! Sounds like you have a cool brother. TC

4. weryon

weryon World traveler - In Thailand

nice , happy birthday !!!! October 18 was also my birthday but sadly I did not receive coins :p

5. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Happy Birthday, Billy!

Very nice present! I'd be ecstatic to get something like that!

6. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Thats awesome Billy. Enjoy the search.. Do you need alot of Canadian Nickels? PM me..

7. ElCoinCollector

ElCoinCollector New Member

8. Thanks so much guys! It was one of my best birthdays ever due mainly to the amazing amount of birthdway wishes I recieved!

Here is the update now that I've finished the rolls:
    I finished the rolls yesterday. Wheat cents were surprisingly uncommon, yielding only 4. I normally get that many when I do 6 rolls. The 1944 was the oldest, there were two 1957 Ds and a 1956. There was however a 1959 with nearly full mint red remaining, so I was happy about that. Can't remember if it's an upgrade or not, I'll check that eventually.

2009s are common. The third design moreso. Of the 30 rolls it was not unusual to find 3 or more in a roll. Some of them were in really poor shape, they went into the spending jar. I did find one of the log splitter with a die crack on it...but it wasn't as nice as the one I recieved as a gift from a former board member here. I saved it anyway.

One of the log splitters I got was completely brown already. I imagine that is what the majority of them will look like in 20 years. Going by color alone it would appear like the usual 1970s coins in circulation-about milk chocolate colored.

More than a dozen Canadian cents were found ranging in age from 1957-2006. Most were as usual from the 1980s.

The nickels, I did OK but the best was shown above. A nearly unciruclated 1968 D was pulled from the final nickel roll. It is certainly a big upgrade for my collection. Maybe a few other upgrades, I will check eventually.

Nothing spectacular out of the dime rolls. Maybe an upgrade but not nessicarily. Ditto on the quarters. Did find a few mid 2000s that were in uncirculated condition so I saved them but I doubt they were upgrades. Time will tell. I did find a 2008 D Oklahoma quarter in the roll, it's the first time I've gotten a D mint quarter from 08-current in a roll. My brother had previously purchased an uncirculated example for me so it wasn't that big a find, but still moderatly cool.

Overall, I had a great time going through all the rolls. I've never done more than $10 or so at a time so doing $50...well...it took me three days! (I did spread it out some to prolong the fun). I didn't really get all that much for my collection, and even the stuff I saved may end up in the spending jar eventually, when I can get to my collection and sort them in, but I still have the prospect of spending the rejects eventually....the gift that keeps on giving!:)

9. Happy Birthday to you as well Weryon!

10. 50cent

50cent What A steal

SWEET!!!!!!!!Happy Birthday

11. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

A Belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Glad to see you enjoyed yourself so much.....:)

Draft saved Draft deleted