A real puzzle? Is this a struck thru thread or a scratch?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Insider, Sep 27, 2021.

1. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I'm not going to read through the thread, but I'll post my observations. This is a Seated Half dollar that looks like it has corrosion on it, so the surfaces are long past being shiny. Nevertheless, the lines are shiny and very well defined. They look like a recent failed attempt to remove the corrosion using a metal pick.

Insider, Cliff Reuter and johnmilton like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I agree. At first I was thinking it was just scratches from being stored next to a 2x2 with nasty staples.

4. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

@Insider has his opinion; others are allowed to have theirs. Implying that others are ignorant or stupid because they don’t agree with him is counterproductive to the learning process. Continuing in this vein does not further the education process.

Nobody has all of the answers … nobody. It’s an incredible sign of arrogance when someone says they do.

If I were considering this coin, I would first view the whole piece. I would see this area and look at it with a 10x glass. Then I’d look at the whole thing again. We don’t have that here.

If the area is a struck-through, it would blend in with the rest of a 125+ year old coin. If it doesn’t, the coin might have been dipped or cleaned, or it might be fresh, which means it’s not a struck-through area.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    wxcoin likes this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

So, how long before we get your answer?

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'm not sure who you're talking to when you ask that question Frank, but if you're asking Insider, I think it was about 2 pages ago when he said the marks were scratches.

Cliff Reuter likes this.
  7. Treashunt

Hmm, I guess I missed it.

Okay, what is my prize?

I'll accept gold in any denomination.

wxcoin likes this.
  8. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

Thanks for your "FINAL" entry. I hope.

9. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

johnmilton, posted: @Insider has his opinion; others are allowed to have theirs. [Absolutely TRUE and many here have offered their OPINIONs. Unfortunately, :( some members opinions are not valid. By giving reasons for their correct opinion, others :bookworm: posting in this thread are trying to educate them. :happy:]. Implying that others are ignorant or stupid because they don’t agree with him is counterproductive to the learning process. Continuing in this vein does not further the education process. [I don't believe I've implied anything. You don't learn by believing anything you are told. Disagreement is GOOD! However, anyone who continues to believe the bright lines in the image are not scratches after reading the comments from me and others just might have a learning disability, poor eyesight, or a serious lack of English comprehension.] Nobody has all of the answers … nobody. It’s an incredible sign of arrogance when someone says they do. [:rolleyes: I feel very sorry for anyone with such low self-esteem that they must "paint" others as arrogant know-it-alls. I must say that I don't know any know-it-alls or ANY STUPID FOOL who thinks they are. As for arrogance, I'm reminded of Joe Namath among all the other arrogant individuals I can think of. When they can do it, it is skill, knowledge, luck, or something else. It is not arrogance in spite of what others might IMAGINE to feel better about themselves.

Now to get back to my OP, I saw the coin at 40X. I know the shiny lines are scratches into its surface. So I'll :blackeye: be a little arrogant :cigar: here. The marks are 100% scratches into the coin and anyone who disagrees after reading all the evidence provided for this determination is...ah, shall I say uninformed (look up the "i" word for "uninformed."
    ].

"If I were considering this coin, I would first view the whole piece. I would see this area and look at it with a 10x glass. Then I’d look at the whole thing again. We don’t have that here."

:bigtears::bigtears::bigtears: And you will not EVER because it is not needed to learn what a jagged group of surface patches looks like!

Now for anyone who doesn't like the way I :troll: choose to communicate, please put me on Ignore so you don't mess up my next thread with your personal pity-party!

Treashunt likes this.
  10. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Okay, you wish to be on “ignore.” I did that for a while last night and then thought better of it. Now you want to be on ignore. Okay, I’ll give you your wish. Someday you might figure out who I am, and maybe then you will want to develop some better Internet manners. Your approach offends a lot of people. Your only real rival is Laura Spender.

wxcoin, Lehigh96 and CoinCorgi like this.
  11. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

I think @Insider is too arrogant/old/stubborn/full-of-crap to listen to constructive criticism.

ldhair and johnmilton like this.
  12. Steven Shaw

Steven Shaw Well-Known Member

I'm the latter and if you like his smug attitude, go for it. I've been collecting coins for over 50 years and have a few discovery coins that are attributed in Snow's book. This is my real name if you want to verify.

Insider likes this.
  13. Insider

johnmilton, posted: "Okay, you wish to be on “ignore.” I did that for a while last night and then thought better of it. Now you want to be on ignore. Okay, I’ll give you your wish. Someday you might figure out who I am, and maybe then you will want to develop some Internet manners. Your approach offends a lot of people."

1. I don't believe you put me on "Ignore;" so PLEASE do it now. :smuggrin:

2. IMO folks who put ANYONE on "Ignore" are...

3. I don't care who you are. You are just another member here and the equal of all of us NO MATTER HOW MUCH you know and contribute.

4. The folks I respect the most on forums post their numismatic bio in their profile. That way, I can judge the knowledge of folks that post and treat them and their comments accordingly. There were a lot of no-nothing :bucktooth: "blowhards" around here in the past. Not so much now. Unfortunately, I cannot use my real name because when I first joined CT I wanted to have fun. I even pretended to be a rookie female grader who was dating a long-time professional at a major TPGS.

5. All my life I have found that very many folks I meet don't like me at all. I'm "abrasive." Then, most change their mind. :D

johnmilton continued: "Your only real rival is Laura Spender."

Thank you for that compliment! Misspelling her name can only indicate to any knowledgeable numismatist that you may feel intimated by her :angelic: and her :angelic: numismatic :bookworm: accomplishments.

14. Insider

Steven Shaw, posted: "I'm the latter and if you like his smug attitude, go for it. I've been collecting coins for over 50 years and have a few discovery coins that are attributed in Snow's book."

If you don't mind my smug :smuggrin: attitude. I think if you post an image of one of your "Discovery Coins" and then TELL US THE STORY and method you go about to look for others, it might be a great feature article. I believe there are a lot of "Discovery Coins" still out there in many series waiting to be found. ;)

15. Treashunt

I should write up my 'Discovery Coin' for the 1909 S Barber Half dollar, inverted MM.

Now in Cherrypickers' Guide

16. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

You should! I think I have 4 US discovery coins now but you'll only find them in BCCS journal.

The entertainment value for me in these threads is watching what happens when someone disagrees with him, with all the crazy font sizes and colors and bolding and italics and emojis... No offense but you're quite the character. It's an 1866-S 50c Motto, by the way. I'm sure the die pair has been attributed somewhere, if only we could see both sides of the coin... [wink]

Insider likes this.
  17. Insider

KBBPLL, posted: "It's an 1866-S 50c Motto, by the way. I'm sure the die pair has been attributed somewhere, if only we could see both sides of the coin... [wink]

I'll see if I can find what I wrote to ID the image. I guess the die break is the giveaway for an advanced numismatist.

Found it but I just wrote "Spot Removal" with no ID of the coin.

18. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

Looked like a strike through with a retained thread to me.

19. Insider

KBBPLL, posted: "It's an 1866-S 50c Motto, by the way.

o_O What did you base this on?

justafarmer, posted: "Looked like a strike through with a retained thread to me."

Others thought the same thing. It's a bunch of scratches. You can read my explanation earlier in the thread.

20. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

I saw the entire coin.

I was able to look at it from many angles and under different light sources.

Here is one single close-up photo. Tell me what you think it is.

You're wrong, I'm right.

I am a great teacher.

21. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

I read the explanation but even with that information the scratches still looked raised instead of incused when I looked at the image. I have a friend that has a print covered with dots all slightly varying in hue. And to this day I've never seen the jet fighter that is suppose to appear when you stare at it.

RonSanderson, KBBPLL and CoinCorgi like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted