a rare Valentinianus II VOT X MVLT XXX coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by sky92880, Feb 20, 2022.

1. sky92880

sky92880 Well-Known Member

Although not the most beautiful coin, difficult to photograph due to the encrustation, here is a small, 12.1mm, 1.11g coin, minted during the fourth period (A.D.378-383). It caught my eye due to its unusual reverse side. val21.jpg
    The obverve legend : DNVALENTINIANUSPFAVG, on the reverse : VOT X MVLT XXX . Minted in Nicomedia, officina SMNB. It should come after RIC IX nr 38.
    Valentinian wears a kind of diadem, which can be seen from the arch at the top of his head.
    RIC IX has recorded 1 piece of THEODOSIUS 1 (in the British Museum) with this VOT legend, minted in Antiochia, under number 57, officina antDELTA, . Of Valentinian II or Gratian no coins with this legend are known.

Thank you for looking.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's a nice find!

sky92880 likes this.
  4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Yes, an interesting catch.

sky92880 likes this.
  5. curtislclay

curtislclay Well-Known Member

Is the reading MVLT XXX certain? Following VOT X, one would expect MVLT XX rather than XXX. I don't find the legend VOT X MVLT XXX in Bruck's Kupferprägung.

If really MVLT XXX, perhaps your coin is an engraver's error, a mix up of

VOT X MVLT XX (RIC 38a) and

VOT XX MVLT XXX (RIC 39b).

sky92880, panzerman and Alegandron like this.
  6. sky92880

Hi Curtislclay,
    Yes, the text vot x mvlt xxx is correct, and good to read with the coin in hand. My remark 'should' come after ric 38, is because in RIC IX, at mint place Antiochia under Theodosius I, 1 coin ( Aes IV (smaller module 12-13 mm)) with this legend is known, which is in the British Museum .

curtislclay likes this.
  7. sky92880

@Roman Collector, Thanks for your response, I have had this coin in my collection for over 15 years but recently started cataloging about 350 Aes IV coins.

@ancient coin hunter, for once I was able to add a rare coin to the collection. Feels good.

Roman Collector likes this.
  8. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

That is an excellent rare find.

I have one for Theodosius on this page:

http://augustuscoins.com/ed/ricix/type24.html

I classified it with the VOT XX MVLT XXX types for the same reasons @curtislclay mentioned. In my opinion, the centering of the X above XXX makes it clear it is intentional, although odd.

Now I'll have to change the page to note the existence of the type for Valentinian II. Congratulations, @sky92880 !

9. curtislclay

curtislclay Well-Known Member

VOT X MVLT XXX for Theodosius at Antioch (RIC-57, in BM, not in Cohen) could be the same engraver's mix up as on your coin for Valentinian II at Nicomedia, since Antioch too struck the same two correct reverse types for Theodosius or his co-emperors from which the wrong legend may have been derived:

VOT X MVLT XX (RIC 56c, Theodosius I) and

VOT XX MVLT XXX (RIC 58a-c, Gratian, Valentinian II, Arcadius).

Andres2 and Roman Collector like this.
  10. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

I agree with curtisclay, engravers error, the guy ruled from 375 to 392 = 17 years.
    XX make sense ,no sense for a MVLT XXX.

P1140611savoca2 (4).jpg

11. sky92880

Thanks for your web site and photo of the Theodosius coin. I couldn't find it through the search engines. By the way, it was the unusual position of the top X opposite the XXX that made me put the coin aside at the time, with the intention of figuring it out when I have enough time. Since I never touch a coin to "clean", the right X is less visible. It is there when looking at the coin in sunlight.

curtislclay likes this.
  12. LukeGob

LukeGob Well-Known Member

Wow! Seriously nice find! I do not believe it's an engraver's error. They look too deliberate, there's at least a couple different Re dies, & now you have one from a different mint and Ruler.
    I actually found one a while back for Theodosius. Got it from Vcoins; David Conners, for a couple bucks. The X to the far L is definite in hand, much more there.
    1.3g
    11mm
    MM off flan, I had assumed Antioch, but, with yours...(lettering, what little there is, looks Antioch)
    Thank you for sharing, that's an important coin.
    20220516_173424(1).jpg 20220516_173540(1).jpg

ancient times and Bing like this.
  13. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I'll just dive by 2 and call it a day:
    Valentinian II Siscia RIC IX 29 (2020_11_18 03_38_31 UTC).JPG

Curtis, ancient times and Bing like this.
  14. Paul Bredt

Paul Bredt New Member

I have a Theodosius I VOT X MVLT XXX in very readable condition. Mint is clearly ANT(delta) on mine.

LukeGob likes this.
  15. LukeGob

Pic? Please & thank you.

16. LukeGob

Pic? Please & thank you.

17. LukeGob

Pic? Please & thank you.

18. ancient times

ancient times Legatus Legionis

The mint mark looks like SMNB (Nicomedia)
    Valentinian II
    DN VALENTINIANVS PF AVG.
    VOT X MVLT XXX SMNB in exergue, it is not in RIC IX
    Listed rare

Curtis likes this.
  19. Paul Bredt

Paul Bredt New Member

Sorry, just saw this request to post...
    XmXXX final.jpg

Valentinian, sand, Curtis and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted