A Rare 'Germania Capta' As

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, Mar 13, 2021.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I picked this one up rather cheaply off eBay a couple of weeks ago. Thankfully the bidding wasn't too strong, likely because of the ho-hum condition of the piece. Every once in a while eBay can be kind.

D422a.jpg Domitian
    Æ As, 10.33g
    Rome mint, 85 AD
    Obv: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM COS XI CENS PER P P; Head of Domitian, laureate, r., with aegis
    Rev: VICTORIAE AVGVSTI; S C in field; Victory stg. l., inscribing shield set on trophy to l., and holding palm
    RIC 422 (R2). BMC 367. BNC 389.
    Ex Ancient Treasures, eBay, 28 February 2021.

The senatorial mint introduced new Germania Capta reverse designs for the bronze issues in 85 AD. Among them was this Victory inscribing shield type which was struck somewhat commonly for the dupondii and sparingly for the asses. The motif was borrowed, albeit with some minor modifications, from Vespasian's coinage. This As from the third and last bronze issue of 85 is exceedingly rare, perhaps owing to the short window of time at the end of the year prior to Domitian becoming COS XII on 1 January 86.

NB: I believe this seemingly generic Victory type to be part of the Germania Capta issues because of the commemorative 'Germanic' character of the bronze issues in which it was struck. Also, the trophy design is identical to the one used on the Germania Capta sestertii.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice score, I like the color of it.

5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Great coin David.