A rare dynastic as for Vespasian

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

When I saw this rare As I could not believe it. I saw an example in the forum gallery of @David Atherton and knew that it is a very rare coin. I do not know how many are known but OCRE has 0 examples and the 1 on Forum Ancient Coins belongs to @David Atherton.

Vespasian (69-79). Æ As Rome, AD 69-70.
    26 mm. 9.4 gm.
    Obv: [imp] CAESAR VESPASIAN [AVG PM TRP], Laureate head r., wearing aegis.
    Rev: T ET DOM[ITIAN CAESARES PRIN IV]VENT S C, Titus and Domitian Caesars on horseback r.
    RIC II 64 (R2). Very Rare.
    Purchased from Praefectus coins August 2, 2020

Vespasian ric 64 .jpg

octavius, ancientone, Nemo and 11 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Great pick up Andrew. Welcome to Flavian bronze!

4. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

I like the reverse.. nice on the rarity.
    I see you are selling off most of your 12 Caesar's set.. are you going completely Flavian in your collection focus or another direction?

5. Orfew

Hi @Clavdivs Thanks for the question. Indeed I am selling off many of my 12 Caesars coins though I will always have a fondness for these and may grab them all again someday. I loved collecting them and had so much fun finding them and doing the research.

I guess it was the research angle that led to my current passion for the Flavians. The more I read the more interested I became in that destiny. However it was not solely about a change of focus either. When I first started to collect the Flavians in earnest a few years ago I discovered that some fascinating coins could be had for not very much money. I found this attractive so I pursued the Flavians.

I have also decided to broaden my collection a bit and add any other coins I happen to like to my collection. Not only is this fun, but it is necessary since my focus on rare Flavian denarii has meant that sometimes it is months before a target coin shows up on the market. Also, given what my collection is like now it is getting much more difficult to find rare coins I do not have. On top of that, there are some Flavian rarities which are far beyond my wallet.

Again, thanks for your interest.

Alegandron likes this.
  6. Orfew

The coin arrived today. Here is my photo.
    V64.jpg

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I would buy it just cuz of the HORSE!

Animals always win for me! :)

Congrats, Andrew, very cool coin!

Orfew likes this.
  8. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Great catch, Orfew! I have never seen one!

Orfew likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted