A "Rape of Persephone" and Athens Ae Owl : ID help

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Brian Bucklan, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

Came across these two in a large lot I recently purchased. I know what they are but can't seem to find the proper identification for either. I'm positive someone on this forum knows what they are.

Coin 1: Rape of Persephone type Ae, unfortunately the obverse legend is not clear and can't find this reverse type in my searches. 17mm, 4.7gms. My guess ... Nero/Hierapolis
    Rape of Persephone Ae.jpg

Here's number two, obviously an ae Athens owl type. It's 12mm and 2.0gms
    Athens Owl Ae.jpg These should be easy but ...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Compare to Svoronos plate 22 perhaps #67 which he dates 297-255 BC???

Roman Collector and ominus1 like this.
  4. Brian Bucklan

Thanks Doug, Found a bad pic and it looks similar, not exact but pretty close. I know there are quite a few unpublished Athens bronzes. Maybe this is one of them.

5. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

6. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Nysa.jpg
    The Abduction of Persephone. LYDIA, Nysa. After 133 BC. Æ (18mm, 5.78 gm, 10h). Obv: Head of Persephone right, poppy behind neck. Square countermark on nose. Rev: Hades in galloping quadriga right, carrying off struggling Persephone. Flower basket falling left from hands of Persephone. A valley near Nysa was the site where, according to the myth, the abduction happened. SNG Copenhagen 306; BMC Lydia 16.

7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Do you have HGC 4? It looks like it could be HGC 4, 1738 (S), within group Denomination D (10-15mm, 0.81-2.81g).
    "Obv. Head of Athena in Corinthian helmet r. Rev. A-Θ or Θ-A. Owl standing r., head facing. All within olive wreath. No symbols or monograms. Struck c. 284-270 BC. Kroll 1993, no. 54."
    The illustrated coin in the book is not in great condition (and the pic is small), but it does look like yours.

8. Brian Bucklan

@zumbly : Thanks! Pretty close and that's probably it.

Draft saved Draft deleted