A quick lesson on Chinese fakes

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by doug444, Feb 22, 2017.

1. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I got a 1908-S IH which was on the end of one of those so called "un-searched rolls" a few years back and when I got the roll it was easy to tell it was fake (wrong color, texture and font). Fortunately I was able to work with the seller on getting a refund. If I'm looking at buying any rsw key date coin I spend a lot of time researching how to identify a genuine one.

Insider likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

About,com from 2003, the image was part of the production of Big Tree Coin Factory in China.

The link to the story has been posted several times, but for those who may not have seen it
    https://www.thespruce.com/chinese-coin-counterfeiting-ring-4071202

4. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

If you have every seen any of these up close, they would not fool anyone who has seen genuine coins before. They are actually pretty bad and obvious fakes.

fiddlehead and Insider like this.
  5. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

Well that is good to know

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk

6. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

On the other hand, as I found out (after posting), that technology was 13 years ago; I'm sure they are still doing some kind of coppers, and the technique has no doubt improved greatly.

7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It has, but they get caught. Counterfeiting money and collectables has been around for as long as both have.

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They are and it has, to the point where they have been getting them into genuine TPG holders from all four major services.

Insider likes this.
  9. Or putting their fake coins into fake TPG holders...

10. motrenrut

motrenrut Junior Member

Are these fakes? I can't find them in my book.

Attached Files:

11. doug444

Most people intuitively believe all "cash" coins are from China; but similar pieces came from what is now Burma, Vietnam, Korea, all over eastern Asia.

They are a nightmare to catalog, so I don't.

12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

So...I shouldn't buy that 100 oz silver bar from Craigslist for $200?

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

But putting their fake coins into their own fake holders doesn't demonstrate an improvement in the quality of their work. Being able to get them past the TPG graders and into genuine slabs does.

I think they are real, and they are Chinese, what book are you using?

fiddlehead likes this.
  14. motrenrut

motrenrut Junior Member

It's the STANDARD CATALOG OF WORLD COINS. The chinese section is a maze to me. Thanks for the answer; I realize now this thread is about Chinese copies of US coins, eh?

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Which century?

I don't have the time to check them right now,pressed for time, but I will try and identify them tomorrow.

16. motrenrut

motrenrut Junior Member

19th. That could be my problem. Thanks for the help, no hurry.

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yep that's the problem. They are both 17th century.

Coin 001 is from Emperor Shun-chih 1644-1661
    The reverse (coin 002) is upside down the simple character should be on the left hand side.
    This is KM 296 (Schjoth 1408) It is a 1 cash coin from the Chekiang Mint
    both characters on the reverse represent the mint name in two "languages" The left character is the Manchu "Je" and the right character is the chinese "Che".

Coin 004 is Emperor K'ang-hsi 1662-1722
    the reverse (coin 003) is correctly oriented The left character "boo" could be roughly translated as coin or good coin. The right character ciowan indicates the Hu-pu Board of Revenue. So boo-ciowan is "coin of the Hu-pu board of Revenue"
    It is KM 311.1 or 311.1b (Schjoth 1419) depending on the diameter. If it is 24 mm it is 311.1b, if it is 25 to 27 mm it is 311.1

Neither coin is particularly valuable The KM 296 is about $3 and the 311.1 either type is about $1

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  18. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Burma... is now Myanmar

19. doug444

When the square-holed "cash" coins were issued, it was BURMA, or some native equivalent. Myanmar only dates from 1989. Same theory for Ceylon, renamed Sri Lanka in 1972, although that terminology is more official, whereas Burma was renamed by the decree of a military junta.

Same theory for Taiwan. No one in Chinese government calls the island "Taiwan". The terminology, with a wink and a nod, means something more in the sense of "renegade province".

By the way, the U.K. still calls the country "Burma".

20. doug444

One persistent problem for the Chinese is that they can't seem to make accurate copies of all four numerals in the dates.

That's what I look at first.

mikenoodle likes this.
  21. motrenrut

motrenrut Junior Member

Wow, that's great info. Thanks for taking the time to look those up for me. My great-grandfather saved a lot of strange coins; I'm just getting to know them now.

Draft saved Draft deleted