A question of Value.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Duke Kavanaugh, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Duke Kavanaugh

So I ask you what is coin value?
    What is historic value?
    Is there a difference if any?

4. Duke Kavanaugh

Coin value vs Historic Value?

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Both values in my mind are determined by rarity and desire to possess. Generally historical values are higher, since they can be derived with help from institutions, societies, trusts and organizations, many which have very deep pockets. if the historical concerns really want them, they will far outbid the numismatists concerns. Just a guess as arguments could be made , there is just one value, the ending selling one.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

In the article written by Daniela Lazarova, I think this paragraph explains how the historic value is far more important than the coin value.................

“A find of this kind –in terms of the huge number and variety of coins we had here – had not been unearthed in several decades, and it is a great pity that it was not preserved in its entirety. Apart from its numismatic value, such a find is always important in terms of helping us map what coins were in circulation on our territory at a given time. From what we know this find contained coins used around Europe at the time. From that point of view the fact that we only have a small part of the hoard is a significant historic loss.”

Chris

7. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

In my eyes, the historical value is the value. Without the history of a coin, it would hold little interest to me.

8. Duke Kavanaugh

So how would you determine "historical" value?
    I look at it as only 1 value and that is what well informed seller and buyers come to an agreement on. Would those 2 people not think of it's historical value when doing their transaction?

9. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Maybe like the pocket change that Elvis had on him when he died in 1977. Ordinarily the coins would probably be worth face value, but if the provenance could be established that they were indeed in Elvis' possesion, well you could get a wee bit more than face for them.

10. Duke Kavanaugh

But that is the point. If Elvis owned it then there is a value that increased whether "historic" or not.

11. Juan Blanco

Juan Blanco New Member

"Experts have put the value of the hoard at 1, 100 000 crowns"
    I read that as intrinsic value of PM weight, back-of-the-envelope.

"...and its historic values is several times higher"
    Assuming no typo, I read 'historic value' as broadest price estimate(s) of BOTH numismatic items and as a collection.

12. Juan Blanco

Juan Blanco New Member

As I infer it, 'cultural value' (historic loss) is something different, not applicable to the price estimates but certainly germane to the crime and penalty (presumably.)
    Additionally, there may be specific "value" definitions in the law(s) concerning undeclared antiquities as defined to Czech law.

Draft saved Draft deleted