A question about state quarters?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Diogenes Diaz, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Diogenes Diaz

Diogenes Diaz Active Member

Hey guys --I notice 3 different variety where the initial underneath Washington neck is different--- I will post pictures soon but I just want to know if anybody else notice

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

THISTHREADISUSELESSWITHOUTPICHERS.jpg

capthank and David Betts like this.
  4. Diogenes Diaz

Don't you got a quarter on your pocket ?

5. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I'm almost 100% sure you are referring to the different mint marks. Google "mint marks on U.S. state quarters."

Steve

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

some online information
    https://www.usacoinbook.com/encyclopedia/coin-series/50-state-quarters/

we're always recommended new collectors to purchase what is called a "Redbook" or "guide book of united states coins" as it will provide a wealth of information. You can find a wide variety of different types on amazon. (large print, small copy, Mega, etc)
    upload_2020-4-1_11-19-24.png

capthank likes this.
  7. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

If not the mint mark, then you're referring to the "JF WC" initials which stand for John Flannigan/William Cousins. In either case, any variations you're seeing are probably due to worn, chipped, or filled dies.

(Flanningan designed the Washinton image, Cousins tweaked it for the 50 states)

JF_WC_Quarter.png

8. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

9. Diogenes Diaz

Thank you - I will post pics tonight,--Only the JF could be seen

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Cease the conflict, the forum doesn't need it, and I am working remotely ( in a way) and I do not have time to mess with such. Please take me seriously on this,
    Thanks, Jim

thomas mozzillo and rascal like this.
  11. Diogenes Diaz

Here's a couple of pics Image_2020-04-01 20_34_18_163.JPG Image_2020-04-01 20_36_33_280.JPG Image_2020-04-01 19_59_54_666.JPG Image_2020-04-01 20_36_33_280.JPG Image_2020-04-01 20_09_25_203.JPG Image_2020-04-01 19_59_54_666.JPG
    No conflict-I'm a grown man-'I reported the first four times he came to my thread just to leave message that had nothing to do with coins--I take it you send him a message too?

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Those are the designers initials. Each die may be a hair off or slightly different but that does not make them s variety. In yhenpne it looks like they were polished off to extend the Die life.

Stevearino likes this.
  13. Diogenes Diaz

I..m still learning so I ask a lot of questions--but I thought that being slightly different is what makes a variety?if not what is?

14. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Just from die usage getting worn over it's lifecycle they are all slightly different.

If you had the entire batch of coins from one set of dies (assuming they both served the same maintenance cycle) you could literally put them in batches of "early die state" all the way to "end of life die state" usage batches.

Diogenes Diaz and Stevearino like this.
  15. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

You may need to move on past looking at designers initials , Even when they are completely missing they still are not worth much . A die can easily become clogged in the initial area and cause them to be missing. Look for things like broadstrikes , dropped letters , clashed die coins , off center coins , doubled die coins and coins from heavily ground dies where a lot of the design is missing and anything else that is easy to see .

Stevearino likes this.
  16. Diogenes Diaz

Rascal-'i.m just interested in the whole process __and I figure it should at least leave some kind of imprint but there is none where only 2 initial appear and nothing elsewhere ''ty for your infomation

17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Jim's comment wasn't specifically directed at you - it was directed at everybody !

And so is this comment of mine. I've removed several posts from this thread, and done what I thought needed doing. And everybody better believe me when I say I don't have any problem with doing more if and when I think it is warranted !

Every person here knows the rules, and if you don't then I suggest you read them. Because they WILL be enforced.

rascal, Stevearino and drewish like this.
  18. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Awesome post and I sure do respect you for it. If I do anything out of line feel free to get after me . This is a great place for the newer collectors to learn a lot. I remember when I started out I had a hard time learning some things such as mechanical doubling for example.

Stevearino likes this.
  19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I can't say about the JW initials, the fact they are missing on some could just be due to die wear or polishing. But there does appear to be two different varieties on the JF initials. On picture three both letters are clearly at the same level both top and bottom. But on pictures 1 and 5 the F is clearly on a lower level than the J. Now die wear might extend the upright of the F lower but there is no way it would move the two bars down and remove the top of the upright.

It would be good to know what years these state quarters are. The mint is constantly fiddling with the designs and this difference may just reflect a difference between two different years. If it is a change between two different years then you would want to watch the years between them to see if they had a transitional year with both varieties used in the same year.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Cheech9712, LakeEffect and Stevearino like this.
  20. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Dresses don't have pockets. Just saying

21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Roger that.

Draft saved Draft deleted