a question about presenting a type set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by swish513, Dec 26, 2014.

1. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

i am working on a type set, but i am presenting it in a different way. instead of a 70/70, i am presenting it in my 3-ring binder, roman style. saf-t-flips, with the paper insert roman coin style (i.e. description, including legends and fields, of both the obverse and reverse). upon the paper insert, i am saying the type of coin, year minted, city of mint, a brief description of the obverse and reverse, and who was president at the time of mintage. ok, so here's my thing. i don't expect the president thing to catch on, but when you look at a coin with who was in office, it takes on a different perspective. for example... i have an 1872 nickel 3 cent coin. you can look it up in the red book and get the mintage info, (i.e. place of mint, coins minted, designer, etc.), and i do put these things on the insert, but i am taking a step further to put it into historical context. in 1872, the president was ulysses s. grant. yes, that grant, who won the civil war. all of a sudden, it's a different coin, right? i don't expect how i present coins to catch on, but is it too nerdy?

Ed23 and OldGoldGuy like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I think it's a great idea and makes the presentation much more interesting :)

4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Haha, very nerdy, but it's cool.

5. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

My standard reply.
    It's a type set so you get to do anything you want.
    You get to decide on the coins you want to include.
    You get to decide on how you want to display/store them.

6. johnno92

johnno92 Member

I love the idea. It gives the collection a nice reference to times in our great country's history.

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

@swish513 .........where the devil ya been Bro? Happy Holidays. :)

8. OldGoldGuy

OldGoldGuy Members Only Jacket

I love your idea. In fact, I am now considering a whole new way to display my raw ancients and raw US coinage that would include time relative facts. GREAT IDEA!

9. Ed23

Ed23 Active Member

Good idea!

10. Tamaracian

Tamaracian 12+ Yr Member--Supporter

Putting a capsule history of the era and in your case, the President in office at the time of issuance, is a very good idea; a well known author and numismatist that typically does this in his publications and articles is Q. David Bowers. I found it very interesting to read about the economic and political conditions in the country, and within the Mint, that resulted in the various style and type changes that occurred over the course of time.

11. Great idea! It really does put it into perspective. I may do this as well now.

12. LionelR

LionelR Supporter! Supporter

For my part, I think it's a great idea! I bet evolves too... learn something new, add it to the presentation, and so on. Great idea!
    -L

13. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I like the idea, but I think for a type set, you might include facts about the entire period in which the type was minted. I think if presented right, it could come off like a well-done museum exhibit (kind of cool, if you ask me). :)

SCDigginWithAK likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted