A question about a Coin of mine

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by MrZun, May 25, 2024.

1. MrZun

MrZun New Member

I know that most ancient coins were cleaned in the past, but a lot of people say you should not clean beyond its toning. I know my Coins were cleaned, but do they have or not the original toning? When cleaning a ancient silver, is It inevitable that It Will clean its original toning?

I always saw that cleaning ancients are a restoration, Very different from cleaning modern Coins since ancients are all Full of dirt and deposits, but since hearing these things, i was kinda a bit down hearing that there are ancients with original patina out there, but most coins selling they all look like mine :( kinda makes me feel like my Coins were damaged instead of restored.

I am taking these things too seriously and a clean ancient with or without a cabinet patina is not a damaged Coin?

Edit: my camera makes my Coins a bit brighter, my republic denarius as an example, It way darker and has an yellow patina around and even more at the center, especially in the reverse.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MrZun

MrZun New Member

I have this one too

Attached Files:

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

All the coins look fine to me and don't need any more cleaning. Most of their looks are typical, for ancients. Just leave them be. They will most likely develop some toning, over time, depending on how they're stored.

sand and MrZun like this.
  5. MrZun

MrZun New Member

But you think they were overcleaned or cleaned beyond needed in the past?

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nope, like I said, they're fine, that's how most ancients look, after they were cleaned.

sand likes this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Ditto to Mat. Not overcleaned/cleaned beyond what may have been needed

Inspector43 and sand like this.
  8. -monolith-

-monolith- Supporter! Supporter

Harshly cleaned ancient coins will tone / patina overtime so don't worry about it. Your coins look fine. The only coins I avoid are the ones with heavy scratches.

Inspector43 and sand like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted