A Ptolemy II tetradrachm - "repurposed" obverse die?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by robinjojo, Apr 28, 2022.

1. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

This coin just arrived today. It is a tetradrachm of, I believe, Ptolemy II Philadelphus, Alexandria.

While I have seen numerous tetradrachms of Ptolemy II, the obverse of this coin is interesting. Around parts of the portrait there appears to be remnants of letters and what appears to be the lower part of a bird's feet and wings (lower left, next to the neck). The reverse appears to be typical, without any odd features in the field.

At first glance, when I saw the coin online I thought the coin was struck over a previous tetradrachm. However, now that I've examined it, I am not so sure. An alterative possibility is that the obverse die was repurposed, that is, it was reengraved with Ptolemy II's portrait, leaving whatever else originally there untouched.

Ptolemy II Philadelphus, 285-246 BC
    AR Tetradrachm
    Alexandria

13.87 grams

D-Camera Ptolemy II Philadelphus  tetradrachm Alexandria  285-246 BC 13.87g ebay Israel 4-28-22.jpg

Are the attributions to Ptolemy II and Alexandria correct? Any ideas what is going on with the obverse?

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Robin, I have the same coin, but I listed it as Ptolemy I Soter

P1150562 (2).JPG

4. robinjojo

Thanks.

Stylistically I compared my coin to the Ptolemy I tets online. Like your Ptolemy I tetradrachm, the portrait is different, compared to those of Ptolemy II, and there's that delta behind the ear on the Ptolemy I coin, a clear indication that it is, indeed, his coin.

Differentiating between the two kings has been something of a struggle for me, unless that delta mark is present.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  5. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice pickup, @robinjojo.

I also picked up a similar coin earlier this year in the Triton auction. :)

011a-Seleuk.jpg
    Ptolemy II Philadelphos. 253-252 BC. AR Tetradrachm
    26mm, 13.97 g, 12h.
    Ioppe (Joppa) mint. Dated RY 33 (253/2 BC).
    Obv: Diademed head of Ptolemy I right, wearing aegis around neck
    Rev: Eagle standing left on thunderbolt; to left, IOΠ (mint) monogram above MT monogram; to right, ΛΓ (date) above Θ.
    CPE 669; Svoronos 804; SNG Copenhagen 463 var. (lower left monogram); DCA 18.
    Triton XXV, January 2022.

6. robinjojo

That's a beautiful coin! I love the style and the centering.

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I'll take this opportunity to remind people I would enjoy hearing of other examples using the reverse die of my Ptolemy II tetradrachm overdate delta over gamma (34/33). I would love to see a mint state one or a die match with no correction.
    g92500bb0250.jpg 3433ptol.jpg

8. Ignoramus Maximus

Ignoramus Maximus Nomen non est omen.

Interesting coin, @robinjojo .

I can't help you with the portrait. But I agree with you that it's more likely to be a re-engraved die than an overstrike. As you point out, the reverse looks too clean to be overstruck. And, if it were an overstrike, I'd expect to see at least some rudimental bleeding of the original design onto the face of Ptolemy on the obverse. Which I don't.

+VGO.DVCKS and robinjojo like this.
  9. robinjojo

Yes, I agree that an over strike is not likely. The reverse shows absolutely no signs of another coin's design. The coin is something of an oddity.

I also thought that the uneven areas on the portrait might be due to a die clash, but I've ruled that out possibility. I don't see any indication of a negative of a reverse letter or other element.

+VGO.DVCKS and Ignoramus Maximus like this.
  10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's interesting, @dougsmit!

11. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

You can get overstrikes where there is no sign of the understrike on the reverse.... Take the following coin for example:-

Silver Tetradrachm of Ptolemy I Soter, founder of the Pteolmaic Kingdom
    Obv:– Diademed head of Ptolemy I right wearing aegis
    Rev:– ΠΤΟΛΕΜΑΙΟΥ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ, Eagle standing left on thunderbolt, monogram left
    Minted in Alexandria, B.C. 294
    Reference:– Svoronos 236, SNG Cop 75
    14.379g, 29.9mm, 0o

The coin has the signature of the Delta artist behind the ear (between the ear and the first curl near the neck).

It came with the following note:-

Struck on a briefly used standard of 21-attic obols. Broad flan. Overstruck over an Alexander tetradrachm, which had a banker's mark. Undertype visible at 4:00 on obverse. Minor chip. Rare overstrike!

[​IMG]

12. robinjojo

Interesting!

Really nice toning on the reverse and nicely struck.

13. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Cool coins and discussion --an early Ptolemy has been in the back of my mind for a long time. Wish they were cheap enough for people like me, who know nothing about the series, and not much about the historical context.
    But I'm wondering if the delta is actually the tie to Ptolemy's --what, diadem? Along the lines of this Aksumite of Aphilas, very approximately c. 270/90-330 CE. Here they tie his headcloth.
    COINS, AXUM, AKSUM, APHILAS, BEST.jpg

Bing, Edessa, Spaniard and 1 other person like this.
  14. robinjojo

The delta character is located on some of Ptolemy I's tetradrachms behind the ear and within the hair curl. Take a look maridvnvm's coin, posted above. The delta is very prominent.

The theory for the delta is that it represents a die engraver's initial. Not all of Ptolemy I's tetradrachms have this character.

Edessa and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  15. +VGO.DVCKS

Thanks, @robinjojo, for the elucidation. But from here, even in @maridvnvm's example, it's still looking like a tie. What else am I missing?

16. robinjojo

I think that tie-like style is just the way the delta was engraved for that die.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  17. +VGO.DVCKS

...Except that, on every example on this thread that has it, it really looks like a tie. As you noted,
    "The theory for the delta is that it represents a die engraver's initial. Not all of Ptolemy I's tetradrachms have this character."
    ...Emphasis on "theory." As someone who mostly collects earlier medieval, I'm well acquainted with the ways in which ongoing research sometimes has to begin on the level of informed speculation. Still gets to be speculation.

Edessa likes this.
  18. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Here is a cropped area of the Delta from my original full sized photos. The one above is very reduced in size.
    It looks like a Delta - I cannot see it as a tie to anything placed where it is as there is nothing to tie.....

Ptolemaic Kingdom 1a obv.JPG

The Delta also appears on a small number of Ptolemy with Elephand Headdress Tetradrachms. It is the fact that it appears on both types and on coins with engraving of the highest quality that the assertion of the Delta as a signature is derived.

Broucheion, +VGO.DVCKS and Edessa like this.
  19. +VGO.DVCKS

Thanks, @maridvnvm, and @robinjojo. I'm not used to this level of detail. For one, I don't collect a lot of anything Classical (what medievalists might like to call 'Ancient'); for another, I generaly don't have the budget for anything in this condition.

Draft saved Draft deleted