"A Portugal peice of nine shillings"

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Numismat, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Been trying to do some research on this piece I recently purchased. I have found some references in 18th and 19th century literature to similar pieces. From what I have found so far it was a piece of "necessity money". Looking for any info regarding the who/what/where of this coin or token being issued.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Hey, don't they know the rule "I" before "E" except after... oh never mind, they're 18th century Portuguese, I guess we can cut them some slack.

Nice coin!

jello and Numismat like this.
  4. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Very nice coin 9 shillings!!!
    */*
    Original finish on to I think.

Numismat likes this.
  5. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

It's interesting that the inscription on the obverse is in Latin and on the reverse in English (with poor spelling as pointed out). It could be something related to the port wine trade, which was heavily invested by British merchants Would love to hear the story behind this minting.

6. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

This CGB page shows a similar piece. Apparently those were used as coin/money weights ...

Christian

7. Numismat

That's a great lead. Did some more digging and found a German reference from 1897 that also describes it as a Brazilian escudo coin weight: https://books.google.com/books?id=TTTQAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA70&lpg=PA70&dq="portugal peice of" shillings&source=bl&ots=drv9SKRDtP&sig=iCOYAvZHNW6OhKubjqfOCNyz6j8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=YlngVPyIGuzHsQTDzIDIAQ&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q="portugal peice of" shillings&f=false

Would have to be a weight for gold, as this is a fairly small copper coin weighing a few grams, so definitely not 9 shillings weight in silver.

I originally found a Dutch reference from 1870 that described it as a necessity money:

https://books.google.com/books?id=37lBAAAAcAAJ&pg=RA1-PA101&lpg=RA1-PA101&dq="portugal peice" of nine shillings 1746&source=bl&ots=Jt4USNqrzH&sig=Ub-HVDU4XH9VRpunuqD_aMtBLzg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=7lrgVJXzCYuiNsvVgVA&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q="portugal peice" of nine shillings 1746&f=false

The coin weight story makes a lot more sense. No way a small copper coin would ever be denominated as 9 shillings for circulation.

chrisild likes this.
  8. josemartins

josemartins Member

Not an "emergency coin" but a english coin weight for a portuguese gold escudo (1600 Reis).

Weights/Coins:
    Three pound and twelve Shillings/Dobra (12800 reis)
    Thirty six shillings/Peca (6400 reis)
    Eighteen shillings/Meia peca (3200 reis)
    Nine shillings/Escudo (1600 reis)
    Four shillings and six pence/Meio escudo (800 reis)

There's also french, dutch, irish and italian weights.

Jose

9. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Don't forget Portuguese Moidores (4000 Reis) at 27 Shillings.

:)

10. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I wonder if both Dutch & Portugal other Kingdom County used the same engraver till 1710-1810??
    Photo did 1 engraver travel or Work for more than one Flag or King,Queen Country 1809 1 SCH rev 2.jpg 1- 1737 2-sk rev.JPG Just wondering Engraver name is listed
    Flowers on all 3 coins look almost 1 persons hallmark mint mark ????
    :)Am I seeing things :shame: that are not related:watching:

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. Numismat

This type of design is common on 18th/19th century coins. Plenty more examples out there. Pretty certain it is not the same engraver though. :)

jello likes this.
  12. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Just something I was thinking since 1st seen.
    Style was hard to train otherwise I guess. No real carbon/Stainless steel Tool's :)

13. Ian willow

Ian willow New Member

I too have one and was having difficulty determining its origin. Any idea of how the value of such peices (pun intended) is determined?

Draft saved Draft deleted