A pleasing Constans - Galley

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by maridvnvm, Jul 23, 2016.

1. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Sometimes when browsing something really catches your eye. This coin did exactly that. It is a Galley type - FEL TEMP REPARATIO of Constans but is a largely silvered example which is something you don't see that often and is also nice and sharp.

Constans - AE2

Obv:- D N CONSTANS P F AVG, Pearl diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right
    Rev:- FEL TEMP-REPARATIO, emperor in military dress standing left on galley, holding Phoenix and labarum, Victory sitting at the stern, steering the ship
    Minted in Aquileia; (//AQP dot), A.D. 348-350
    Reference:– RIC VIII Aquileia 99 (C)

RI 169ai img.jpg

I am also attaching a detailed section of the reverse. When expanded (please click on the image) you can see the detail of the engraver's tool marks on the hand of the emperor holding the labarum. You can also see horizontal striations on the flat areas. My hypothesis, originally postulated about a denarius of Septimius Severus is that these are remnants of the die preparation. After the incuse areas have been engraved in the die there would be small burrs on the die. The application of a file across the die would remove these burrs before the die was used. These would disappear from the die due to natural die wear during the striking process.

RI 169ai rev detail.JPG

I hope you think this coin worthy of sharing.

Martin

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Very interesting, thanks! Great images too.

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice! Great detail.

5. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

A really nice example. Look at how angularly the seriphs are engraved on the letters. The preservation of this example really lets you see how precisely the letters are engraved, or were they using letter punches at this time?

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It catches my eye. Very appealing. :)

7. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Very nice MM, love the close up pic of the reverse, awesome details.

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That was a later development. This would seem to be a great example of a very early strike. We seem to see more o these field scratches in some issues than others. I suppose the difference could be on what was done to deburr the die (file, leather strop???) or it could just be that we have looked at more coins from these periods. I know we have looked at too many Severans! How many coins would a die strike before the smoothing scratches would disappear?
    rs2820bb0492.jpg

randygeki, Jwt708, Aidan_() and 7 others like this.
  9. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Very cool...and very interesting!!!

10. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

I like the very clear and prominent Chi-Rho labarum. No possible confusion with an IMP JVLIANUS piece

11. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Fantastic coin.
    I saw another one, in similar condition a few days ago and didn't buy it because the seller was asking a very high price. They seem to appear on the market in high grade lately. Has a hoard of them been found recently ?

Q

maridvnvm likes this.
  12. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Really nice coin! Congrats! Great sharpness and the silvering is some of the best I have seen for the type.

13. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I must admit to being a bit of a cheapskate and didn't pay what I consider a very high price for this one.
    Regards,
    Martin

14. Jacnum7

Jacnum7 Active Member

Your not a cheapskate, just a wise shopper.

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sweet new addition, Martin (congrats)

Amazingly, I have never pulled the trigger on one those galley-types

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  16. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Yep, you're not a cheapskate. I am. Ask just about anyone around these parts.

icerain, Theodosius and stevex6 like this.
  17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    Theodosius and Bing like this.
  18. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Very nice coin Martin, I have not got any of this type but looking at that I am tempted to start.

19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

While you will have to look very hard to find one as nice as the OP these are common coins available in many variations and mint marks. The big difference is that many have a Victory in place of the Phoenix on the OP. Both also were issued in the name of Constantius II but the type supposedly honors Constans' visit to Britain so it seems it would be better to have one of his if you only want one.
    Trier Victory
    rx6008b02175lg.jpg

Siscia Phoenix
    rx6095bb3007.jpg

CSII Lugdunum phoenix
    rx6335bb3004.jpg

CSII Thessalonika Victory
    rx6560bb1593.jpg

Another 'chip' coin --- you can't eat just one.

20. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Here's mine:

[​IMG]
    Constans, AD 337-350
    AE, 2.9g, 19mm; 1h; Siscia, AD 348-350
    Obv.: DN CONSTA-N PF AVG; diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: FEL TEMP REPARATIO; emperor in military dress standing left in galley, holding phoenix on globe and standard with chi-rho on banner, in the stern sits Victory steering the ship
    In Ex.: ASIS (symbol?)

21. dlhill132

dlhill132 Member

Martin, A very worthy coin! Love the SW.

Doug H.

Draft saved Draft deleted