A Pair of Reshoots

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Jwt708, May 26, 2016.

1. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Tonight I want to reshoot some of my ancients that are in need of better photos. So that's what this thread is all about. A big obstacle I've had lately is they're coming out too dark. I know "how" to fix it I just don't know why I don't notice it when I post them. Please feel free let me have it or point out whatever I could do better.

Licinius I
    JWT 51 Licinius I Jupiter.jpg

Constantius II
    JWT 52 2.jpg

Thank you!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Do you mean these two pictures are looking too dark to you? They look just fine to me actually.

4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Ah, I meant that was a problem I was having. I would post something and it would look too dark. Think I got it figured out now. Thanks!

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I still think they are a wee bit too dark. I took the liberty of changing the lighting on the Licinius I. I suppose it is all a mtter of personal preference.
    JWT 51 Licinius I Jupiter.jpg JWT 51 Licinius I Jupitera.jpg

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Ah, but the question remains......which shot is true to the coin 'in hand'?

Mikey Zee likes this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

And that is the truth!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I like Bing's fix better.

[​IMG]
    Licinius I (308 - 324 A.D.)
    Æ3
    O: IMP LICINIVS AVG, Laureate bust left wearing Imperial mantle and holding mappa, sceptre and globe.
    R: PROVIDENTIAE AVGG, Campgate with 6 rows of bricks,
    Pellet in right field, SMHA in exe.
    3.3g
    19mm
    RIC VII Heraclea 29 (R2)

[​IMG]
    Constantius II (337 - 361 A.D.)
    Æ3
    O: FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB C, Laureate, draped & cuirassed bust right.
    R: GLORIA EXERCITVS, Two soldiers, holding spears, standing front, heads turned inward toward one standard between them. SMNA in ex.
    Nicomedia
    18.3mm
    2.89g
    RIC VII Nicomedia 200

9. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I think your 'reshoots' are just about on the money......and I agree that the best photo is the one that most perfectly captures the coin, dark or not.

Jwt708 likes this.
  10. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

But @Mat IMO (I'm ignorant about photography and techniques but know what I like), the OP's coins look like a coin SHOULD (?) in hand. The Cons. II has beautiful color. @Bing's photoshop trick looks decent also. Your photos seem a little washed out and have lost most of the brown. Nevertheless, your second one is sharp and really good for plating.

Jwt708 and Bing like this.
  11. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

They're not too dark for my tastes, but I like my screen brightness turned up to max, which makes a difference. I think they're great shots.

12. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Those photos are much better than I can manage. I think they look very good.

13. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

they look good to me jwt...I kind of like bing's "remix" of your first coin a bit more, I don't know exactly how the coin appears to you.

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This is a fact. My newest laptop defaulted to different brightness settings when on battery that when on AC. Both can't be 'right'.
    I do not believe in the 'in hand' question. If a coin looks dark 'in hand' most of us move the hand to a place with better light. That is what Bing did when he lightened the image. IMHO, the answer might be darker than Bing's but not as dark as yours. I'm old enough to want brighter light when I look at coins.

Jwt708, zumbly and TIF like this.
  15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that's a good point. here's what a coin looks like "in hand" if you are in a cave.

[​IMG]

:wacky:

Jwt708, Insider, zumbly and 5 others like this.
  16. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

To each his own, but i buy the coin NOT the photo....although enhancing the details through magnification and photographic skill can be a desirable effect.

How many times do any of us say the 'coin' looks better 'in hand' than in the seller's photos---9 out of 10 times???

Alegandron likes this.
  17. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the input everyone. I'm going to reshoot the Licinius. I think if slow the shutter speed a little I could get something a little brighter.

Looking at the same picture on my camera's widescreen, laptop, and tablet all look very different and it frustrates me.

My goal with photos is to take something that represents the coin well and wouldn't disappoint me if I was basing a purchasing decision from the image.

Draft saved Draft deleted