A Numismatic Curiosity - Gripped Edge Large Cents

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Marshall, Mar 2, 2018.

  1. Marshall

    Marshall Junior Member

    Most collectors of Early dates KNOW that there are only two varieties with the Gripped edge. The S-120b and the S-121b produced with 1797 obverses.

    But what if that's not the case? I have two coins which MAY be gripped edges on varieties which aren't supposed to have them. One is a scuzzy S-95 of 1796 and the other is a S-156 of 1798. These seem far too distant in time to have been produced in a batch of gripped edge cents. But they all have something in common which might indicate they were produced around the same time. They are all on Reverse of 95 Reverses.

    Now here are pictures so you can decide for yourselves whether they are Gripped edges or dings. I can say they would probably insure attribution as a gripped edge if it were on the S-120 or S-121.

    Here they are:


    S-95 (2)-Gripped.jpg


    Edge shown below with...


    S-156 1.jpg

    Am I on to something or is it all about nothing?
    TypeCoin971793 and Jack D. Young like this.
  2. Avatar

    Guest User Guest

    to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

    Conder101 Numismatist

    I don't think so.
    Marshall likes this.
  4. physics-fan3.14

    physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes? Supporter

    Pretend like I don't collect early copper.

    What is a gripped edge?
    TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  5. Marshall

    Marshall Junior Member

    The edge of the coin is sometimes treated during the minting of the planchets. Initially there was a vine & bars edge and later two different lettered edges were used. When they switched to the thinner 168 grain planchets, this edging was discontinued, though some lettered edge thin planchets are known.

    Additional minor edge devices were employed to help prevent slipping during the coining process, though most are too subtle to be seen on worn examples. The Gripped Edge is an exception which can be seen on even worn examples and is seen as vertical marks on the edge of some S-120 and S-121s. My post simply poses the question of whether there may be other varieties with this same edge device.

    The two I've found may or may not show evidence of this device. I'm unsure, though I feel if they were on either known variety, they would be called gripped. But with extraordinary claims you need extraordinary evidence and I'm not there yet.
    Eduard likes this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

    physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes? Supporter

    Cool. Thanks for explaining.
  7. Marshall

    Marshall Junior Member

    I can't believe I forgot the Reeded edge of the S-79. It is different because the vertical lines are much closer together and numerous than the gripped edge device.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page