A Nice Tetradrachm of Asia Minor, Galatia

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by robinjojo, Jul 14, 2020.

1. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

I normally do not acquire Alexandrine coinage. This field, while extensive and fascinating, is beyond the pale of my ability to include to any significant degree, given my limited resources, especially in retirement.

However, every so on, a coin does pop up that says "buy me" or "bid on me, I am special". This is one such coin.

Of course, while this coin has qualities that appeal to me, that is not necessarily true for others, but, of course, that is why, as collectors, we have our proclivities in one area or another in the rich tapestry of ancient coinage.

Upon first sight of this coin, as a recent auction lot, I was drawn to it by the good centering, its style, and its history. The surfaces, while a bit rough and dark, are an allowance to time, in my mind. This is not a slabbed MS 70 Morgan dollar by any stretch of the imagination.

This coin is a posthumous tetradrachm of Alexander III, minted in Galatia, an area in central Turkey that was inhabited by the Hellenistic Celtic Gauls from Thrace.

Wait a minute. Gauls in Asia Minor? I do not know of any references by any historians that I know of about the development of brie cheese or Beaujolais wine in BC Asia Minor. Did I miss something?

Well, the Thracian Gauls did settle in that area, and according to Wikipedea, following the Gallic invasion of Thrace in 279 BC, and that "It has been called the "Gallia" of the East, Roman writers calling its inhabitants Galli (Gauls or Celts)".

So much for history (if you have more information, please add), here's the coin:

Celts in Western Asia Minor AR Tetradrachm. In the name and types of Alexander III of Macedon. Galatia, 3rd-2nd centuries BC. Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin headdress / Zeus Aëtophoros seated left; in left field, lion skin draped over club. Price 4058. 15.99g, 23mm, 11h.

Very Fine. Very Rare.

D-Camera Alexander III, postumous tetradrachm, Asia Minor, Galatia, Roma, 7-14-20.jpg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Not my collecting area but can certainly see the appeal of this coin....
    I'm not really into shiny so I do try to acquire coins from old tray collections as much as possible........Nice looking coin!

Draft saved Draft deleted