A nice rare variant of a common Vespasian denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I am very happy to acquire one of these. Until a few minutes ago I was unaware that this variant existed. My sincere thanks go out to @David Atherton for sending me a pm telling me that this coin just appeared on the market and explaining what it is.

The key to this coin is the reverse. The common variant has a modius with corn ears. The rare variant has poppies in between the corn ears.

I love these variants with small differences, it makes the coins interesting to me. Please post your coins where a small difference makes a large difference to you. Also, please post your favourite coins of Vespasian. If anyone has the other version without the poppies please post it here.

Vesp ric 980.jpg
    Vespasianus, 69-79 CE
    AR-Denar
    Rom, 77/78 n. Chr.
    3.21 g
    Obv.: CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG, Kopf mit Lorbeerkranz n. r.
    Rev.: IMP XIX, Modius mit Kornähren
    RIC 980
    Ex: Kölner Münzkabinett

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's a very attractive coin, @Orfew ! I, too, like "flyspecking," as you can see. One thing I find interesting about these Flavian coins is how they indicate Roman numerals with a horizontal line over them, that way people won't mistake them for words!

David Atherton and Orfew like this.
  4. Orfew

Thanks @Roman Collector for posting that link. It is an interesting example of an aspect of the hobby I find fascinating.

Roman Collector likes this.
  5. alde

alde Always Learning

The hobby owes a debt of gratitude to collectors like @David Atherton for doing the research and sharing it with those of us with less knowledge. I would never have seen the difference. I wonder what rarities really exist in our collections without us knowing it.

6. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I'm glad it found a good home where it will be appreciated.

alde, Orfew and Roman Collector like this.
  7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

8. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Vespasian. AD 69-79. AR Denarius (3.25 gm). Rome mint. Struck AD 77-78. Obv: Laureate head left. Rev: Modius with seven grain ears. RIC II 981; RSC 215.
    VespDenBasketGrain.jpg

9. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

While we're at it, I'll post my modius with nine corn ears, rather than the normal seven. To date I have not seen another.

V980var..jpg

10. Orfew

Wow, what a wonderful grumpy portrait!

David Atherton and alde like this.
  11. Orfew

@PeteB Very nice obverse legend on that example. Thanks for posting that one.

PeteB likes this.
  12. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Very nice variant. I only have this example of Hadrian, without the poppies.
    image.jpg

Johndakerftw, Orfew and Bing like this.
  13. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Yes. Unusual.
    Good eye. Thanks.

Orfew likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted