A nice day at the Supermarket

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Thomas R Reynolds, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Thomas R Reynolds

Thomas R Reynolds Active Member

Needed a few bananas so I went up to Weis's supermarket. Upon entering I did my normal thing and checked the coinstar. Woe and behold 38 cents in US coins in the return. Nice! So I got my bananas and checked out at the self-checkout. Price was 80 cents so I put a dollar bill in the slot and 2 dimes were returned. Another shock, one of the dimes was a 42 Mercury. Tried not to look too happy til I got out of the store. With silver dimes at $1.63 today and my 38 cents from the coinstar I walked out of the store with $2.01 profit. Felt like going back in and buying more bananas. Sometimes your day works out pretty nice.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

"Woe and behold"???:arghh: It sounds like you were disappointed that there wasn't more in the :sorry:CoinStar. ~ Chris

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I must pay attention too little. I found a nice BU 1943 steel cent in my change jar a few months ago. No idea where it came from. At least I don't miss any ancients given to me in change, (there haven't been, but still).

5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Pretty sure he meant, "Lo and behold." LOL

6. Mountain Man

I'm know I definitely would have. LOL I would have shopped the aisles for something cheap that I would/could use and tried the slot machine, er, I mean pay slot, again. Eh, eh, eh.

7. Thomas R Reynolds

I'm going back later tonight. Will try the same stall. Got to buy something under a $1 so I can get some dimes change.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's a great way to start your day but the cost to go back with expectations to repeat are astounding.

MeowtheKitty likes this.
  9. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

But it does not spot Meow from endlessly chasing little treasures CRH for endless hours. One can buy a mouse from the pet store. But its not same thrill as nabbing one with ones own paws in the wild.

10. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Going back certainly has some a-peel to garner more bunchs of coins.
    You really gave that store the slip too in profiting like that. :)

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yeah, I know! I just couldn't resist taking advantage of it, just like below!

ROFLMAO 3.jpg

12. Collecting Nut

Reminded me of many years ago. I had a cat, a dog and a cow, and other farm animals. Whenbthe cat was in the mood he would go into the 3 sided barn and sit on top of the trash can and meow. If the did came next he'd bark until the cow came. If the cow got they after the cat she'd stand about 8' in front of the trash can and she'd moo until the dog showed up. With the cat on top of the can, which held corn for the cow, the cow standing in front of the cab the dog would run off into the swamp. All was quiet when all 3 were in place.

Then the dog would bark and in less than a minute a mouse would run into the barn and under the can. The mouse would see the cow and stop, at which time the cat would pounce on the mouse. Then the dog would be back in the barn. The cow went off to lie in the sun and tall grass while the cat and dog played with the mouse.

These three animals would do almost everything together. You should have seen them napping, each curled up inside the legs of the other. The cow, the dog and the cat, in order of size of course.

Mike Davis and MeowtheKitty like this.
  13. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

And we always need to recognize our blessings. Glad you had a good day.

14. Mountain Man

Got me. LOL

15. Peter Economakis

Peter Economakis Well-Known Member

I can't even find a button in the spit out draw when I check the Coin Star machine at my local Stop & Shop:(
    Has to be where I live?? or i'm doing something wrong:confused:

16. Thomas R Reynolds

To clarify a point, when I say "Coinstar" I am not referring to the machine name itself but to a type of machine. The coins mentioned above were from a "Coinstar" type machine. I have found three different types in my searches. All do the same thing. This machine has a deeper coin return area so that when you look down you may not see the coins if there are only a few but you have to reach in to retrieve the coins. Think that's why I have a lot of luck on this machine. People just don't see the coins returned. That's all guys. Hope I can get out of the house soon.

Peter Economakis likes this.
  17. Peter Economakis

Thanks for clarifying it Thomas,
    but really meant any coin counter machine and wrote Coin Star for some reason:oops:
    My other half has a account at the Credit Union thats right across the street from me going on 15 years, it's free for account members but she has to be with me to use it.
    No slipping through the policy cracks one bit. Yes it's their rules but still eerks me:mad:

18. Collecting Nut

Go open your own account and put $5.00 in it.

19. Peter Economakis

I just might:)
    It sure beats driving to Stop & Shop or even Shaws hoping the machine's are in working condition. They aren't all that far maby 10 miles but still a hassle.
    It's just I have 2 different banks I use with accounts but yes what is $5 to have another account that I can just leave be and use for the machine.;)

Collecting Nut likes this.
  20. Collecting Nut

I opened an account at a credit union for $5.00 a few years ago. I saved ove $200 in interest on a car loan. It was worth it.

Think of the cost to drive 10 miles. Maybe you can get rolls to search or use them as a dump bank. Best wishes.

21. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

My credit union's machine is great, just put in the debit card, dump in the coins and out pops a deposit slip and the funds go directly into the account and no fee. 100 percent.

Easy peasy.

Bambam8778 and Peter Economakis like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted