A new web site on The Second Tetrarchy, 305-306

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Recently I announced a new educational web site on the coins of the First Tetrarchy (Diocletian, Maximian, etc,):
    http://augustuscoins.com/ed/tetrarchy/
    Now I am announcing a new educational web site on coins of the Second Tetrarchy:
    http://augustuscoins.com/ed/tetrarchy/Second.html

For numerous related pages, see the site of links here:
    http://augustuscoins.com/ed/tetrarchy/extra.html

The page of links has links to these pages:

"Introduction to the Roman coins of the First Tetrarchy: Diocletian, Maximian, Constantius, and Galerius" [The first link above]

"Coins of the First Tetrarchy: Pre-Reform Coins of Diocletian, Maximian, Constantius, and Galerius.

"Follis types of the First Tetrarchy, 293-305 CE"

"GENIO POPVLI ROMANI: a common late Roman coin type"

"SACRA MONETA: a common late Roman coin type"

Abdication types of Diocletian and Maximian

How to distinguish coins of Maximian from coins of Galerius

"Roman coins of the Second Tetrarchy" [The new, second, link above]

How coins are dated to the Second Tetrarchy

The "radiate fraction" a.k.a. "post-reform radiate" denomination.

The silver argenteus denomination.

I've been busy trying to make the coins of 284-306 understandable, especially to those who already collect ancient coins but don't know much about coins of that period. It is pretty complicated because there were four rulers at a time, not just one ruler followed by another as in the early centuries. The history is fascinating and the coinage complicated, but not too complicated, and not too expensive. Take a look around and bookmark the links page because it would take days to read it all.

Private-message me if you find any typos or mistakes, or if you have suggestions. Web sites are easy to change (unlike books) and I want to make them as helpful as possible.

Constantius was western Caesar in the First Tetrarchy and became western Augustus in the second. Here is a new type issued under the Second Tetrarchy:

Constantius1FIDESMILITVMAVGGETCAESSNNstanding96307.jpg

Constantius as Augustus
    28 mm. 8.84 grams.
    IMP CONSTANTIVS PF AVG
    FIDES MILITVM AVGG ET CAESS NN
    Fides standing left holding standard in each hand
    AQS
    RIC Aquileia 60a

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

That's a tremendous amount of work - many hours of valuable reading. Thank you so much for all the effort!

Valentinian and Clavdivs like this.
  4. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Wow! It will become a "must read" reference for many years. I learned something new every 3 lines I read. Merci beaucoup for all the time you invested in this educative project.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Valentinian likes this.
  5. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Maximus II Diai As Caesar Ae Follis Carthage 305-306 A.D. Obv. Head right laureate. Rv Carthage standing facing. RIC 40 b 10.38 grms 29 mm diai3.JPG

Bing and Johndakerftw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted