A New "Type" of Type Set For....

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Silverhouse, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

A coin album. Now, I know MANY companies offer these and can already be bought.

It has been a long time since I have been able to collect coins again. Sadly as now my budget confines me to mostly modern coins and SOME classic examples. I noticed Littleton had a type set album 1900-1999, though on their site it did not show the individual pages. I thought of purchasing it anyways, and using other formats for coins needed for a type set.

In short my question is this. What coins slots SHOULD be in coin albums but are not? If you were putting a type set together 1900-1999 and then 2000-present. What coins would be a must have?

For example, 1934 D Heavy Motto/Light Motto
    1942/41 Mercury Dime
    Slots for Reverse Proof Issues-perhaps a whole page?

I am sure there are other examples as well.

These are a few examples. This will be a fun new project for not only me, but my daughter, to get back into collecting again.

This includes all coinage from 1900-Present, all in one big type set.

I know the first rule is collect what you like, but by having your input, is valuable to me. It will help to keep me focused.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

From a world coin perspective, here's what I could really use:

China Type set (Imperial, Nationalist, and Communist)
    Italy Type set (say, from unification to the present)
    France type set (from Napoleon to the end of the franc)
    Russia type set (this exists, but in hideously expensive form from a Russia-based seller)
    Spain type set
    Portugal type set
    South Africa coin sets (all denominations, just like there are for Ireland, Great Britain, Australia, etc.)

Silverhouse likes this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Well, here’s my take..... I feel that a type set should be just that. Years ago, type sets began including varieties. That’s a great thing for guys with deep pockets. However the US mint never intended to produce a 55/55 doubled cent or a 42/41 dime. And heaven forbid you should set your sights on a Buffalo nickel set.... Don’t get me wrong. These are fun coins and I have some of them. I just have issue with these being included in a type set, most of which are already a challenge to assemble anyway. If I were assembling a type set of my life, my mistakes would not be part of that set.

Tracy62 and Silverhouse like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted