Featured A New Penny for England

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TheRed, Jan 24, 2018.

1. David D

David D EuroTrash

That sounds like a great trip @David D I would love to go to Stockholm and Amsterdam. Usually a chisel would be used to cut the coins, or very strong shears. English pennies aren't very thick, so it doesn't take much to cut them. Some of the cut coins are nicely done and others horribly mangled.[/QUOTE]

Until reading your post, I had no idea that they would cut or clip their coins for items that cost less. It makes complete sense when you factor the value of the penny then, compared to now. You will love Stockholm and Amsterdam. The people were just fantastic and 75%, if not more, speak fluent English so navigating both was quite easy.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

edward i london 5.jpg

Edward I, class 5a (c. 1289-1291), London mint.

While London coins are super common, class 5 is scarce (both class 5a and 5b). The obverse legend reads "EDW R ANGL DNS HYB" which the vast majority of Edward I pennies have.

Curtisimo, RAGNAROK, TheRed and 8 others like this.
  4. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

edward i kingston.jpg

Edward I, class 9b (c. 1299-1300/01), Kingston-Upon-Hull mint.

Class 9b is a common class, but Kingston-Upon-Hull is not a common mint. In fact, this is the only class to feature Kingston-Upon-Hull. Obverse legend "EDW R ANGL DNS HYB".

Curtisimo, RAGNAROK, TheRed and 8 others like this.
  5. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

An axe held in a vice, the rope on top and whacked with a hammer works on wire rope. It should also work on a coin. Whacking a coin on a log with a chisel might work too. Practice on a clad kennedy to learn how it goes.

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

@TheRed - thanks. I had not heard of "crockards" and "pollards" before, despite having had some exposure to English hammered coins.

7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I have a couple, nothing special though :)

38891q00.jpg
    IMG_2832.JPG

Curtisimo, RAGNAROK, TheRed and 4 others like this.
  8. JBGood

JBGood Collector of coinage Supporter

@TheRed Great writeup! I have one of these and now I know a lot more about this coin. Thanks!

Plantagenet. Edward I. 1272-1307 AR Penny.jpg

1272-1307. PLANTAGENET. Edward I. AR Penny (19mm, 1.33 g, 10h). New coinage, class 3g3. London (Tower) mint. Struck circa June 1280-December 1281. Crowned facing bust / Long cross pattée; trefoils in quarters. SCBI 39 (North), 190-2 var. (stops); North 1022; SCBC 1393. VF.From the William B. Porter Collection.

Curtisimo, RAGNAROK, TheRed and 5 others like this.
  9. Chris stork

Chris stork New Member

Here is my Edward 1 penny

Attached Files:

Orfew and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted