A new contender for my end of the year top ten

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I thought that I had narrowed down my top ten of 2020. Well...

This coin ticks many boxes.

Rarity: 2 on acsearch, 1 on OCRE, 3 in the forum galleries. @David Atherton owns 1 of these and @Nemo owns another (his example is stunning and I hope he posts it here). RIC cites 1 in Berlin, 1 in Vienna, and 1 from the Jyrki Muona collection (this is also the RIC plate coin)

Interesting legend: I actively buy as many of the CENS POT denarii as I can as they are rarely seen in trade. The normal reverse legend is CENS P PP.

Monetary reform: This coin is part of the first issue after a major coinage reform of Domitian.

Aegis: All denarii with Aegis on the portrait are rare to extremely rare. This one is not the rarest of them which means I have not seen one in over 3 years of looking. The rarest are known from 1-2 examples max. This includes those issued later in his reign.

Portrait: WOW, just look at the incredible portrait! The portraits from 84-88 for Domitian are very lovely.

85 CE: This year of Domitian denarii is actively collected. All of the denarii from this year are rare to extremely rare.

Most important reason to buy this coin: It was love at first sight.

Please post your favourite portraits.

D334.jpg

Domitian AR denarius 85 CE
    (19mm, 3.50 grams)
    Obv: Head laureate right with Aegis; IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM PM TR P IIII
    Rev: Minerva standing right on capital of rostral column with spear and shield to right owl; IMP VIIII COS XI CENS POT P P
    RIC: 334 (R2)
    Ex Dr V.J.A Flynn collection, Noble Numismatics Auction 120 Lot 3222 (part)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Spectacular, Orfew!
    Great catch!

Orfew likes this.
  4. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Beautifull! Nice addition for your collection:D

5. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Awesome pick up @Orfew. How could I refuse such an nice invitation?

This is definitely my finest coin of Domitian. DomitianTRPIIII.jpg

6. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Just awesome @Nemo . The style and the toning along with the portrait combine to form a very aesthetic coin. I will never tire of seeing this one. I decided after seeing your coin that i would chase one for myself. It took a while but I finally landed one

Nemo likes this.
  7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Rare or not, that's simply an awesome coin. The portrait is fantastic! If I were to have only one coin of Domitian, I think I'd be quite happy for it to be that one. Congrats!

Orfew likes this.
  8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That is a lovely coin in its own right. That it's a rarity is icing on the cake!

Carl Wilmont and Orfew like this.
  9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

10. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

11. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

I have never seen one better... wow!!
    I do not think I have seen the straps that hold the shield on the arm so vivid.. and that is just a minor detail that amazes me. Its incredible.

Nemo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted