A New collection of Greek Silver.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by BenSi, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Hence, my Avatar! :D

Blue looks a lot better than I do. However, her head is all white now!

rrdenarius and DonnaML like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

At some point, I might replace my avatar with a photo of my cat Ziggy. Whose portraits are much better than mine.

IMG_5920 Ziggy Feb-Mar 2020.JPG

Ziggy & crystal 1.jpg
    And this is what he looked like 14 years ago, when he was a kitten.

James 2006 with Ziggy 1.jpg

4. Only a Poor Old Man

Only a Poor Old Man Well-Known Member

Fantastic coin... I didn't even know they existed as I have never come across it before. Also, somehow the wear makes it look even more artistic.

When it comes to portraits smiling is important. Or pulling a funny face! Based on that criteria alone, I would say my Gorgon is my most interesting portrait!

gorgoncombo.jpg

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Portraits do not have to be pretty, they just need to show something beyond the light that bounced off the subject. I spent many years processing photos taken by others. This was my favorite. I consider it a portrait. I could not have taken that photo. I would have shooed the fly off her face. David Kennerly was the best 'people' photographer I ever met. If she is alive today, this child would be close to your age.
    https://kennerly.com/portfolio/gallery/
    [​IMG]

6. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

Those amazing Cretan coins are often overstrikes. Crete aint big but almost every city seemed to have produced something including.....tara taraa.

NOT IN MY COLLECTION

upload_2020-7-2_14-7-7.png

upload_2020-7-2_14-8-51.png
    upload_2020-7-2_14-9-18.png
    upload_2020-7-2_14-10-8.png

Top to bottom, Kydonia,Gortyn, Hierapytna & Knossos. These very rare psuedo-Athenian New Styles are all dated to the 1st Mithradatic wars and were once thought to be minted with silver as supplied by Marcus Lucullus on his quest for ships and support for Sulla.
    There is, rightfully, a growing support for the idea that many of the Cretan cities supported Mithradates and these coins are part of that visual political support. The Romans waited till after the 3rd Mithradatic war to wreak vengeance on Crete.

Attached Files:

Carl Wilmont, robinjojo, Bing and 4 others like this.
  7. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Those are great! I didn't even know they existed. Especially the last one with the labyrinth is amazing.

8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Those are incredible! I didn't realize that the Cretan cities struck these. And now that you bring up the idea of their support for Mithradates, the obverse of the new style tetradrachms sure look alot like that on the big Pontic bronzes with Perseus and headless Medusa that we were showing on another thread here recently.

I've probably posted this one here too many times already, but won't pass up the chance to post it again. A Gortyna stater overstruck on a Knossos.

Crete Gortyna - Stater 1877.jpg

The underlying type of the Labyrinth is pretty obvious on the reverse, but my favorite bit is the minotaur's head hidden in that mess of an obverse. The inset in the below pic shows the head from my coin against that of a Knossos stater's (that one NOT MY COIN, obviously).
    Crete Knossos - Minotaur Stater Gorny Mosch Compare.jpg

Carl Wilmont, robinjojo, Ryro and 7 others like this.
  9. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

A new coin for my Greek collection. I now have 3 . I got this one a a gift from my wife. It does not seem to be rare because I see several others on the market but its condition is beautiful.

Cappadocia Ariarathes VII Ar tetradrachm , In the name of Antiochos VII

16.65g 30mm
    i4.jpg
    No light used on the photo, seems far less gray in person.

10. Only a Poor Old Man

Only a Poor Old Man Well-Known Member

That's a very nice example. How did she pick it? I imagine she knows a thing or two about ancient coins.

BenSi likes this.
  11. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

That Lokris Stater is awesome. Definitely a coin on my list.

12. Pavlos

That is a great Cappadocian imitation! Congratulations. Your wife made a good choice.

I have one of the earliest Cappadocian imitations of quite crude style:
    [​IMG]
    Ariarathes VI Epiphanes Philopator (130-116 B.C.). Imitation AR Tetradrachm in the name of Antiochos VII Euergetes (Sidetes) (138-129 B.C.). Cappadocian mint. Unmarked issue, perhaps dated Year 1.
    Obverse:
    Diademed head of Antiochos VII to right.
    Reverse: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ / ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟY - EYEPΓETOY Athena standing front, head to left, holding Nike in her right hand and spear and shield in her left; to outer left, monogram above A; all within wreath.
    Reference: Early Cappadocian Tetradrachms in the Name of Antiochus VII (Elke Krengel, Catharine C. Lorber). Mint IV, emission 11, engraver X. Plate 18, 668 (same P4 reverse die).
    15.82g; 28mm.

Carl Wilmont, robinjojo, Ryro and 3 others like this.
  13. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

Thank you For this reference. I found it quickly on academia.
    Well it is an early birthday gift and she asks me what coins i am eyeing these days. I point out a couple and she pics based on beauty. She is not a coin buff, in fact when she has problems sleeping she asks me about my newest coin, she falls asleep during my dissertation right away. So my collection benefits us both, it cures her insomnia .

DonnaML likes this.
  14. Pavlos

That one does not cover your coin, yours is the mass produced one, it is covered in another paper by Ms. Lorber (I do not know the name from my head). The paper I referenced is for the earlier Cappadocian examples.

BenSi likes this.
  15. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Here are a few decent portraits:

Kingdom of Paeonia, Patraos, 335-315 BC
    AR Tetradrachm
    Obverse: Laureate head of Apollo right.
    Reverse: Horseman galloping right, spearing fallen enemy, ΠΑΤΡΑΟΥ above and to the left, large M above and to the right.
    Size: 23 mm, 12 h.
    Good toned VF
    Scarce
    12.6 grams

D-Camera Paeonia, Patraos tetradrachm, 335-315 BC, MA Shops, 7-18-20.jpg

Syracuse, 480-475 BC
    Tetradrachm
    Deinomenid Tyranny

D-Camera Syracuse Tetradrachm, Deinomenid Tyranny, 480-475 BC, 5-16-20.jpg
    Syracuse, 430-400 BC
    Tetradrachm
    Second Democracy

D-Camera Syracuse Tetradrachm, Second Democracy, Ch VF, 5-12-20.jpg
    Syracuse, ca. 317-310 BC
    Tetradrachm
    Agathokles

D-Camera Syracuse Tetradrachm, Agathokles 5-15-20.jpg

(Had to add one of these....)
    Athens, After 449 BC
    Tetradrachm

D-Camera Athens Tetradrachm, Roma E-Sale 55, 7-5-20.jpg

Carl Wilmont, BenSi, DonnaML and 3 others like this.
  16. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

That's a remarkable portrait, Doug.

Here's a portrait by Californian Robert Vavra who known primarily for his photographs of Spanish horses. I believe this photograph was taken in Spain, a country he frequently visits. I have it now in the study.

D-Camera Robert Vavra, Black and White Portrait of an elderly woman, Spain,, 7-18-20.jpg

Broucheion likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted