A new collection idea

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by YoloBagels, Sep 12, 2018.

1. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Hello everyone.

So I recently thought of a new numismatic set I could start on, this would be one coin from every single country/government as possible.

Unlike many different coin sets, this one will not be hard or expensive, and will be purely for fun.

However, the problem is, how will I store this collection? I want to put it somewhere I can display it, so far I think Im going to go with a large cardboard picture frame, where I can cut a hole to fit the coin, and it could hang from my wall.

Keep in mind that I also want to print out the flag for that nation and display it alongside the coin, just to make it easier.

So how should I go with storage? Should I frame it? Put it in a 2x2 Binder?

Any replies are welcome! :writer:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

If you're gonna include flags, the display is gonna be way too big. Keep it simple and let us morons (just me) figure things out............

mikenoodle likes this.
  4. Dillan

Dillan The sky is the limit !

I think the flag idea is great, especially if you would get flags images from years ago, prior to any changes. Lots of world coins can be had for cheap, so that is a collection, that you have a lot of fun putting together as well as educating yourself on the country , the flag and what ever else you come across. Dillan

5. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

I love the idea - I would get these flips and on the back pocket instead of a description I would print the flag so when closed, the coin is resting on the flag image

Coin flips.jpg

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Current or any year? I think that it will be very hard. Try getting the smallest coin from each country.

7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

There is a yahoo chat group for this and they are still somewhat active. Something like everycountry@yahoogroups.ca. They maintain some lists of coin issuing entities from approx the Middle Ages until now (it is an extremely impressive undertaking). Hope this helps

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes there is a group of people that do that the one per country club. They even have a checklist of every country, and government change that issued coins going back to the 1400's. It is an Excel speadsheet and color coded so you and customize it to your tastes. It runs over 7,000 lines. (I'm a member but I only go back to 1860.)

9. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I think that would be a very attractive display. The problem, however, is that even if you only go with countries producing coins in 2018 and don't worry about any historical issuers, you are talking about *hundreds* of countries. If you wanted to frame and hang them all, you had better have enormous wall space.

2x2s in a binder would be nice, but more difficult to show the flag. What you could consider would be mylar flips - they have two halves. Put the coin in one half, and then you can print the flag 2x2 size and insert it behind. This will fit in any standard binder.

10. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

An extremely challenging proposition if it is to be inclusive. Many governments, especially post WWI/WWII were fleeting and did not issue many coins. You should start with some research. Pick a time period for the collection, then identify the different coin-issuing governments that existed during that period.

Draft saved Draft deleted