A new coin for my set!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by sylvester, Jun 21, 2005.

1. sylvester

sylvester New Member

This arrived the other day, for those that haven't seen it yet.

English Anglo-Saxon two line type silver penny of Edward the Elder (899-924), struck by BONVS HOMOHO (Lit. 'Good Man'), which is a strange name for a moneyer. Only about half a dozen coins known of this moneyer.

Edge nibble present, probably contemporary, probably a Viking testing if it was silver. The Anglo-Saxons presumably would have known what it was.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Well struck and quite good condition !! Another nice addition Sylvester ;)

4. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Sylvester,that is a very nice coin you have there.

Aidan.

5. sylvester

sylvester New Member

I tell you guys, i'm loving finding these coins. There's another one on the horizon that i'm trying to get my hands one.

I need 9 coins for the full set, or 7 coins for the sub-set within that set. I have two with a third one hopefully on the way. If i get another then i'll be 1/3rd of the way through the set! And better still the common coin of the set (coin 9) is actually cheap and available everywhere. There are only two real sticking points in this set and those are Edmund (939-946) and Edward the Martyr (975-978), the former i think will turn up with patience. The latter... god only knows if that ones ever going to turn up.

6. AuldFartte

AuldFartte Well-Known Member

Beautiful coin :cool:

Draft saved Draft deleted